Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Setting Up Network

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Amomnybus

Amomnybus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

Hello,

My family lives in an area that has been devoid of Internet connectivity for years, but has finally gained access to a high speed connection. My mother has subscribed to this connection, and has asked me, the techie child, to come home and set it up for her.

However, I have a problem. My mother's computer is the only one with wireless access. The house is a 19th century farmhouse, so it would be difficult if not impossible to wire more cable through the walls, since there is little room as is. My family also refuses to buy wireless adapters for their computers, because I once told them how I don't like them.

What we do have is a surplus of old wireless routers that still work. I thought that maybe I could rig them up as wireless adapters. Each computer would be hardwired to its own router, which would in turn be connected to the modem's wireless signal.

Here's a crude diagram of what I'm talking about:

SKVLfOh.png

My problem is that I have no idea how to do that, or if I even can. So, Internet, can you tell me how?

Edited by Amomnybus, 03 November 2013 - 01:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

Here are my thoughts

Is the ISP unit a wireless modem/router? If not get one.

---- I know some people who do not have an ISP provided wireless modem/router but add their own wireless router into the system and that's fine for someone who knows what they are doing and won't have to pay for tech support when something wrong happens

--- With an ISP provided wireless modem/router, tech support is just a phone call away

I know you said that your mothers computer is the only one with with wireless access

--- Since I don't like to assume anything, please verify whether or not it's built in wireless access

--- It appears to me that it is since you note that it's a netbook but I just like to make sure

There seems to an issue for wireless adapters

--- In todays world USB wireless adapters are a very good consideration

--- Why? Because each unit needs the flexibility to accomodate the 802.11x standards and the encryption safety choices such as WPA2-PSK (AES) and USB wireless adapters usually include a pretty good list so that each unit can be matched up with each other

--- From what I understand each unit in a wireless setup needs to have matching safety encryptions otherwise they will not work together

--- It's possible that the older wireless routers will not have that much flexibility.

------ That said, it's alo possible that WEP can be a common selection between all units but WEP shouldn't even be considered because that's the weakest type of protection short of not having any protection at all

--- I'd like to get back to the wireless standards: even though wireless settings can be backward compatible, but if I remember correctly the weakest unit in whichever older wireless router there is will become the weak link in the system working as efficiently as possible

--- On the XBOX, I'm not sure how that will play out in matching 802.11 standards and encrypted protection

I'm sure someone else with more experience than me can explain what I'm trying to say much better but I think the keys are: use the ISP'S wirelss modem/router unit, use wireless USB adapters so that proper wireless standards and encryptions are possible between each unit

--- I can think of a few other scenarios but if you are not living there the system should be set up so there is minimal possibilty of having to "tweak" things depending on who's doing what 

I know this doesn't explain yet how to put things together but deciding what equipment to put together can then lead to how to put everything together

#3 Amomnybus

Amomnybus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

--The modem/router is ISP provided.

--My mother's computer does have built in wireless access.

The reason I don't like USB wireless adapters is because, from my experience, they don't work with each other, or much of anything else. The last time I bought one, it throttled my connection and did weird things to the games I was trying to play. I returned it and bought the more expensive "gamer" model, which cost upwards of $200 (I can buy a good motherboard for less) and still didn't work well.

I told that to my family, which is why they don't want them. I'm not going to be able to convince them otherwise now. It once took me an hour to tell my mother how to burn a CD, because she wanted to do it a certain way and I should just make it work that way instead.

If that's not going to work, what are my other options?

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

Is the ISP modem/router is wireless?

--- I think this is important because your mother most likely needs the most reliable setup for her sake

I can relate to your concerns about USB wireless adapters

On the laptop computer, does it have built in wireless?

On the desktop, if it doesn't have built in wireless, install an NIC

--- Just for the fun of it, I just added an older wireless router to a desktop computer with built in wireless 2 rooms away from my wireless access point and it worked out fine

--- But since I don't need that older wireless router, I took it back out

Set up the laptop first to see how things go.

--- You might not need the extra older wireless router but I suspect it's possible to do what you want to do

--- But I'm pretty sure the wireless modes and encryption options are very important to match up with each other

Same with the desktop

On the XBOX, I don't have any experience on setting one up

#5 Amomnybus

Amomnybus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

I'm pretty sure that, even if encryption becomes an issue, WEP would still work fine. The house is so isolated that anyone trying to access the connection would either need to be inside it or on the lawn.

The laptop does have built in wireless, but it's spotty.

I shouldn't have a problem finding a NIC, but I really want to find out if I can do this with the stuff I already have.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

What you are asking for can be done, easily. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge explains what you want to do to the old routers. But START with http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation . I have 1 set up in my house since the router the ISP supplied sucks. It seems far more complicated than it actually is. I've not tried it with 3 but I see no reason it can't be done. 

Read...read...and read some more on those pages =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

--The modem/router is ISP provided.

--My mother's computer does have built in wireless access.

The reason I don't like USB wireless adapters is because, from my experience, they don't work with each other, or much of anything else. The last time I bought one, it throttled my connection and did weird things to the games I was trying to play. I returned it and bought the more expensive "gamer" model, which cost upwards of $200 (I can buy a good motherboard for less) and still didn't work well.

I told that to my family, which is why they don't want them. I'm not going to be able to convince them otherwise now. It once took me an hour to tell my mother how to burn a CD, because she wanted to do it a certain way and I should just make it work that way instead.

If that's not going to work, what are my other options?

Admittedly I am running 802.11ac Wireless with that on the router and the USB wireless.

I am also using the 5Ghz band as the setup is Dual band.

I get the full Internet Speed via wireless as I get on the local computer.

This is current speedtest as of a minute ago via Wireless.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3080769476

The older wireless was not as good, However modern equipment works good.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

I can understand that you want to work with what you have but it still needs to be known whether or not the ISP modem is wireless or whoever else will be using those other computers & XBOX

--- Again in addition to the fact you want to make sure this sytem easily usuable by your mother

If it isn't, then use one of your older wireless routers to be hooked up between the non wireless ISP modem and your mothers netbook, then configure your mothers netbook with the older wireless router and make sure the SSID & protection encryption is the same

--- Otherwise your mothers netbook is going to search for a wireless connection

If the ISP provided modem/router is wireless you just have to make sure that your mothers netbook works ok with it and you will not need one of the older wireless routers in the system yet

Then get the laptop to work wirelessly according to the way you described but keep in mind the same SSID & encryption standards are very important for both the additional older wireless router and the laptop that is configured in your mothers netbook

--- I'm not an expert in what you are trying to do but it worked for me just fine when I tried it for the fun of it the other day

--- However I hope I'm explaing this well enough for what you are looking to do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users