Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(BSOD) after periods of time playing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 turningmw2

turningmw2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

-Windows 7(64)

Harddrive:

128GB SANDISK SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - Primary

500GB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM 16MB CACHE HD - Secondary

GPU:

- SLI Nvidia 660 GTX (20% SC)

CPU:

- i7-3930 @ 3.20GHz

Ram:

- 16 GB DDR3 2133 MHZ

Cooling:

VIGOR ISURF II HARDDRIVE COOLING

COOLERMASTER SEIDON 120M WATER COOLER

Case:

AZZA WHITE GENESIS 9000 FULL TOWER CASE

Power:

COOLERMASTER SILENT PRO HYBRID 1300 WATTS

- Problem - 

- Has only started to occur after playing BF4( Any setting) recently and in the past while playing BF3( Max settings).  After about 2 hours or so of playing my system simple crashes (BSOD) and requires a hard reset, I constantly monitor my temps with "MWMonitor" and my CPUs idle between (28-31 cel) and during gameplay they hover between (41-52 cel) Also my GPU temps are between (41-50 cel). These temperatures are far from the benchmarks for the cards and the max operating temp for CPU so i'm just curious as to why these recurring crashes are occuring.  Any advice appreciated. 

Edited by turningmw2, 02 November 2013 - 09:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

Hi, you need to record what the blue screen errors are when it happens.  There is a error message that can tell us the cause. It could be bad hardware, bad driver or corrupt software of some kind.  Here are instructions on how to stop the automatic restart after a blue screen so you have time to write down all of the blue screen.

1. Click on the Start button and then on Control Panel.

Click on the System and Security link.Note: If you're viewing the Small icons or Large icons view of control panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 2.

2. Click on the System link.

3. In the task pane on the left, click the Advanced system settings link.

4. Locate the Startup and Recovery section near the bottom of the window and click on the Settings button.

5. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.

6. Click OK in the Startup and Recovery window.

7. Click OK in the System Properties window.

8. You can now close the System window.

9. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, Windows 7 will not force a reboot. You'll have to reboot manually when an error appears.

But before rebooting, please write down the data the blue screen contains.  Then repost here.  We can look up the messages and try to pin down the issue. 

Onme thing you can do while waiting for the next blue screen is check your GPU driver.  Make sure it is updated.  Can also check all system drivers too and make sure they are updated.  If you need help with that let us know.

Edited by Dacar92, 02 November 2013 - 10:08 PM.

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#3 turningmw2

turningmw2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

All drivers are up to date, I'm currently playing and if BSOD occurs i'll take a picture and post here. 

-Thanks for the response!

Edited by turningmw2, 02 November 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#4 turningmw2

turningmw2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

15e9zxe.jpg

Thats the BSOD it has been giving me

#5 turningmw2

turningmw2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:19 AM

Another thing i forgot to mention is that the crashes would occur even after the game was closed maybe 15 to 25 min later.

#6 turningmw2

turningmw2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

I sent my Dump file to a zipped folder but i'm not sure how to upload it to a forum, do i need to upload it to a different site then post the link here?

Edited by turningmw2, 03 November 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#7 turningmw2

turningmw2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

On Fri 7/12/2013 1:14:03 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071113-50497-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BD0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 7/12/2013 1:14:03 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: iastora.sys (iaStorA+0x63AA8)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\iastora.sys
product: Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise driver
company: Intel Corporation
description: Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise driver - x64
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: iastora.sys (Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise driver - x64, Intel Corporation).
Google query: Intel Corporation KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Both are old dump files but this problem happened in the past when I attempted to play BF3 for a while.  

#8 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi, sorry for the late reply.  There are a few possibilities and maybe we'll get lucky.

If this is not a hardware problem such as faulty ram, a misbehaving motherboard, or perhaps even a bad video card, then there is some corruption of a core system file which only a reinstall will fix in my opinion.

Checking the RAM is easy (for example: www.memtest,org). If that turns up no errors, we must take a guess about what to do next.  Testing RAM, switching out the graphics card and a clean reinstall would be the order in which I would try this. 
- replace the videocard
- replace the motherboard
- clean install of the OS

Also, if luck will prevail perhaps try the hardware and devices troubleshooter to see if this can detect the problems: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Open-the-Hardware-and-Devices-troubleshooter.

Other questions to consider:

1) Is the machine over-clocked? If so, can you disable that feature please?
2) Please look in device manager. Any yellow or red symbols?
3) The fact that this occurs randomly makes it difficult to diagnose. Let's go ahead and check the ram: download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Click on and download this from Memtest.org: Download - Auto-installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7) *NEW!*

Open the Rar file, extract to your desktop then run the exe.  It will ask you to insert a new flash drive and it will proceed to install the program on to that flash drive.  It will make it a bootable drive.  Restart and see if it boots to the program.  If not you may need to switch up the Bios drive boot sequence because we want it to boot from the flash drive first.  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange.htm

Allow the program to run and post the results here.
Thanks,

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#9 Zuljania

Zuljania

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

I am going to go out saying "It could be Memory, or temperature".

My PC would do the exact same hard reset during 2 hours od playing Dead Island Riptide, yet once I received a new GPU (Nividea GeForce 650ti) with two fans on the card, and placed a new super-fan on my CPU, it never crashes now.

Also check the thermal compound on the CPU Chip. It may be dry, which means it is just getting even more hotter.

#10 BInarybaited

BInarybaited

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hi , im curious by any chance before you fixed the problem, were you using an amd ATI radeon video
card ,and what temperature the cpu was running at.let me know if you have any locked screen issues
while playing games online.
thanx .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users