Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installed new RAM, netbook not booting up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

I found what I thought was the compatible RAM via Crucial's advisor (see this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/511601/how-to-know-which-ram-to-buy/), installed it and the machine would not boot up.  I took the precaution of taking out the battery prior to removing the old memory and installing the new memory. However, when we decided to put the old memory back in to see if that still worked, we forgot to take the battery out :( Pooey. Is it a total loss? Or is there a way to salvage this machine? any help would be greatly appreciated.  thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

Although not having removed the battery could have been an issue that is dependent upon whether or not the computer had been properly shut down and whether or not sleep or hibernate mode were in effect if it wasn't shut down properly

--- Have you doublechecked the specs on each of the chips to ensure there isn't a mismatch?

--- Also it may not be a memory issue as the computers original problem appears to have been that it was running slow and whatever was wrong has run its course such as the hard drive etc

When you say the computer doesn't boot, what does that mean?

--- Does it reach the splash screen?

--- Do see show any messages as it tries to boot up?

--- Do you have any lights that light up?

Can you get into the BIOS?

Can you get into Safe Mode?

If I remember correctly you have Windows 7 Starter

---  Can you try to repair it; maybe pressing F1 and/or ESC?

I'm trying to think optimistically but maybe you are right; it might be time to have it checked out by a local computer shop

--- Yould also ask them if they have a good used laptop that might be only a few dollars more than fixing the netbook

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

thanks for your reply. yes, the machine was shut down properly before we did anything.

I am not sure how to tell if the new memory mismatches the original. except that there are several(8 to be exact) little "black things" on the new one and there aren't that many on the old one.

when I turn on the machine nothing happens. the green power light comes on and nothing is on screen at all. I cannot get into safe mode. that is pressing F8 correct? tried that, still nothing.

right, a used laptop might be better than repairing this one.

Edited by tobyo, 02 November 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#4 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

and no, nothing happens when I press F1 and/or Esc

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:13 AM

Since there are a different number of those "black things" that indicates to me there might be Non-ECC & ECC considerations but since the computer doesn't boot up at all, that probably doesn't matter at this point

--- I use to call those "black things" IC's (integrated circuits) but I can't say if that is exactly what they are without looking it up

Since the computer did work with the original 1GB chip, I would try it one more time but with the battery removed

--- If it does work, then we can move forward from there

If that doesn't work, I would consider bringing the netbook to a local computer shop and compare the cost of repairing it vs getting a replacement laptop

--- At the same time. for your benefit bring both memory chips with you and ask them about the differences between them along with explaining what those "black things" are

Depending on what you find out, chances are you can return the 2GB chip to Crucial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users