Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntldr Is Missing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 falconkpr

falconkpr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. Everytime I start up the computer I get the "NTLDR is missing" error message and now I have no idea what to do to fix it. It is a 6 year old gateway computer running Windows Me. Can anyone help me on this. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

Did you try to upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP and not complete it?

The first thing to check is whether you left a floppy in the drive or a CD in the CD-Rom. If so, remove and try again.

If you don't have any luck with that, you need to boot up with the Win ME boot disk, then at the A:\> prompt, type sys c: and press enter. After the "System Transferred" message, reboot the PC.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:03 PM

Go to this link and see if this helps clear things for you.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 falconkpr

falconkpr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 05:33 PM

I have tried to reload Windows but my computer is unable to load from CD-Rom or Floppy. To make matters worse, I am unable to get into DOS to do a complete wipe of the hard drive and reinstall Windows. So now what?????? I have tried all of the F keyes and still no luck. Any ideas?????

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:43 PM

Are you trying to get into setup? That varies from computer to computer. Usually it's the delete key while the computer is starting. Sometimes, it's something vague like ctrl+alt+esc. Sometimes, it's just F2. Which kind of computer do you have, maybe somebody knows. BTW - it usually says at the bottom of one of the screens while it's booting what the key combination or key is.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 06 May 2006 - 09:44 PM

One more thing to try would be to clear the CMOS, there should be a jumper on the motherboard for this, or you can unplug the computer and remove the battery of the motherboard for five minutes, and then put it back in, observe the proper polarization please.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 falconkpr

falconkpr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

There is a jumper on two of the three prongs from the CMOS. Do I put it on prongs two and three and then put the tower back together or do I just put the jumper on and then quickly remove it and put it back on prongs one and two?

#8 MagicMike

MagicMike

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 02:34 PM

There is a jumper on two of the three prongs from the CMOS. Do I put it on prongs two and three and then put the tower back together or do I just put the jumper on and then quickly remove it and put it back on prongs one and two?

Choice # 2 ... Put it on then remove it and put it back.

This will clear the CMOS but Windows ME doesn't use NTLDR so there is some confusion about your original problem. Have you tried to upgrade to Windows XP or 2000??
What you need to do is get a Windows 98 startup disk.. Boot to drive A the type DIR C: and hit enter.
If you see files then you still have a fat32 partition and we can try to help you make it bootable.
If you get an Ivalid disk error then you either have a NTFS partition (which Windows 98 cannot read) or something else is wrong with your hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users