Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP not ackowledging installed cpu fan.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

My grandfather's Windows XP SP3 HP M270N pc had it's 3 pin cpu fan fail. The pc store didn't have a 3 pin fan that would connect to the mb like the original fan so I bought one that would connect to the power supply instead of the mother board and it runs fine. The pc will not load XP automatically where I have to press the F2 button to bypass the automatic shutdown since the system still believes it has no cpu fan.

Can this be fixed so that XP will load automatically without the pc trying to shutdown and my grandfather having to press F2 every time he wants to boot it?

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2013 - 09:12 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

I don't think that your premise is true/accurate.

CPU fans do not necessarily have to be connected to the motherboard...the connection itself is not the key.  It's the sensors for the CPU temperature that determine whether the temperature for the CPU is accurately recorded by the board or not.

Louis

#3 M332

M332
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

The temp is fine since it's cold on boot up so you're saying I need to get him a new mb since you suspect a bad sensor?

#4 Sam177

Sam177

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:40 PM

M332,

You're right it is not the motherboard temperature sensor.  It is a fan sensor. 

The fan sensing is being done by the motherboard BIOS and it will not permit the boot process to continue like you said. Fortunately that algorithm does usually allow you to bypass the check with a function key.  it does not sense the temperature but the presence /and the fan rotation.

Some mother boards including some HP Pavilions sense the presence and the rotation of fans in the system.  This requires the fan to be connected to the fan jack on the motherboard.  Most often the sensing requires the fan to have the third wire in its connector.  And the wire must be in the right place in that connector.

So you will want to install a 3 wire fan and connect it to the motherboard CPU connector.  Some systems will check other fans also.  And in some systems you can turn off that sensing in the BIOS.  But that is not generally a recommended solution.

hth

Sam177

Edited by Sam177, 02 November 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Sam, One point to remember That Dells can be picky as far as requiring a Dell fan even if You change the plug they often want a Dell Fan.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 M332

M332
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

Ok thanks Sam.

Roger HP pcs are Dell?

Edited by M332, 03 November 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

Dell does it as a safety feature so idiots that have no clue don't damage their system.  They (the idiots) are out there.  Go into BIOS, on some models there is an option to ignore the CPU fan RPM sensor.  Switch that to "off" and that should fix your problem.  In the event there is no BIOS option for disabling fan RPM monitoring, then your only option is to get a 3pin fan.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

Ok thanks Sam.

Roger HP pcs are Dell?

Nope, That was addressed to Sam, he has a Dell.

Your HP should be OK with a standard 3 wire fan of the proper size.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 M332

M332
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

Ok I looked online and found the different bios keys for HP so I'll try them all and find which one works for his pc then try to switch that setting off and if no joy then I'll get a 3pin fan. Thanks guys.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

Hi, If the really is not running I would change it. Trust me when I say they would not have spent the money if they did not need that fan.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 M332

M332
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

Replacement fan is running just not ackowledged by the sensor since it's plugged into the ps instead of the mb like the oem fan.

#12 M332

M332
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

Installed a 3pin fan plugged into the mb and still have the same issue. Looked in BIOS and there is no setting to adjust for it. Would swapping the yellow and red wires possibly make the pc acknowledge the fan? I can't think of anything else.

#13 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Mate i have had to do the same thing many times because after market fans wont fit, just ignore it if you cant disable the POST prompt. Also get a cpu temp,p monitor like CPU TEMP and let it run in the taskbar so your grandfather can monitor temperatures.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Also to add for future references some computers will not even post if there is no CPU Fan connected to the CPU Fan header on the motherboard.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

Swapping would not help if the three pin fan is running.

It is a true three pin fan not a 4pin fan hooked up to a  three pin adapter. Or to put it another way there are 3 wires coming out of the fan itself?

I also have to agree with cryptodan I have seen some computers that will not let you skip past the fan warning.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users