Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EaseUs Cloned Drive won't boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rodarian

rodarian

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

I have a failing hard drive and created a clone on to a new internal sata drive.  The clone completed successfully and when viewing the drives in Windows 7 interface, both look good.  When I remove the failing drive and place the cloned drive in sata1 position, I get an error that there is no bootable drive.  My old drive is still functioning at this time, but I'm not sure how much time it has left.  Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Any advice is appreciated.

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

It could just be that the BIOS is not looking at this particular drive as the one that has a boot sector on it.

Either go into your BIOS at start-up (normally key 'F2' at the boot screen) and make sure that your nice shiny new hard drive is the one pointed at by the BIOS, or key 'F8' at the boot screen and select your new hard drive as the device to be booted from.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 rodarian

rodarian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

Thank you for this advice.  The boot order was just fine, but what I was ale to find out in the BIOS (F10) was that even though these hard drives were almost the exact same model number, they were two letters off.  I was able to determine by this that it was not actually the main, original drive that was failing at all, but the backup drive (which is, of course, one week out of warranty).  I've removed the offending drive and everything is booting fine for now.  The main drive is passing all health checks.  I'll need to find a new back-up drive that is NOT a Hitachi TB drive. 

Thank you again.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

Glad you found the solution - but it is always one week out of warranty isn't it ?

I used to have two identical 500 Gb drives on this computer - same model number, the lot - and picking them out in BIOS was interesting !

chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users