Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clevo Stone Model W76TH - Recovery ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

This computer belongs to a friend of my sister-in-law and is probably the most infected computer I have ever come across. In view of the seriousness of the infections - included 2 ZeroAccess rootkits - I have come to the conclusion that the only safe solution is a complete re-install.

The computer has a recovery partition and I think I have downloaded the relevant manual, but it is silent on the subject of how you initiate a recovery. Anybody got any ideas ?

It also set a personal record for temporary files - 100K + !

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgg

jgg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

Hi Chris, you may be able to access the recovery partition by pressing F8 on startup, and then repair your computer.

Occasionally manufacturers do not have a particular key press.  Either that, or you would either have to contact the manufacturer for a set of recovery media (at a cost), or contact genner sales. www.gennersales.co.uk.  I have used them a few times in the past.  They have a very wide range of recovery media.  Cost is approx £25.00

Hope this helps

be safe

nige

Mod Edi:  Removed employment affiliateion, construed as spam, please see rules re "no advertising" - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Nige, but it didn't work !  However I did get it to reinstall from the recovery partition.

I used a Win 7 repair disc and the Command prompt to format the C: partition, and when this was finished it went back into 'Repair' mode and came up with the options screen - among which was 'Restore from Stone recovery partition' !

The only thing it didn't restore were the LAN and WLAN drivers, I had to got to the Clevo / Stone web-site for them. But at least it is back working and appears to be clean. The firewall, Windows updates and Windows Defender are all working and they weren't before, nor could they be switched on.

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#4 jgg

jgg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

Hi Chris, at least its now up and running again for you, which is good to hear.

I'm surprised that some of the drivers were missing though.  Usually with the recovery partition, all drivers are installed.

Thanks for letting me know its worked :)

Any further issues, please don't hesitate to shout.

Be safe
Nige
Mod Edit:  Removed affiliation - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,875 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

I was surprised at first when I realised the drivers weren't installed, but perhaps it is because they are listed in the literature as 'Options' !  There was a little guess work involved on the web-site as to which were the relevant drivers since, although the model number is quite clearly marked on the base of the computer, it's not listed in that format on the Clevo / Stone web-site.

It is actually quite a nice reasonably well specified computer and it will be going back to its proud owner tomorrow accompanied by some stern words on security. Something on the lines of 'It's clean now; it's got working security now; don't faff with the security and USE it !'

Well, I can hope, can't I ?

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users