Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blinking power light, solid motherboard light, wont start.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darklingsun

darklingsun

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

Ok.  This may be in the wrong section - I apologize for that.  If someone would kindly move it or let me know, I will do it myself. :)

Ok.  The problem!  I was cleaning my desk area and had set my computer on the bed, which happens to be a HP Omni 120 - one of those all in one deals.  Well, it fell over, a total of its height face first onto the bed.  I didnt think anything of it, since it fell in almost slow motion but I was too far away to catch it. Anyway! When we plugged it in - it didn't come on.  The power light would blink and the fan would pulse running stronger, then weaker, then stronger and continues on in that manner.  After taking it apart, we've found that the mother board light is on, and green.  We've checked all the connections to make sure they're tight, tried reseating the ram... but, being an all in one, we're a little nervous about it.  If anyone could help, we'd be grateful!

I'll be checking back here like crazy, I'm sure, as that was our "good" computer. Hehe.

Edited by darklingsun, 02 November 2013 - 11:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hello Darklingsun,

It sounds to me like the controller is not getting any action from the power switch located on the computer case front panel.

The power led located on the motherboard is lighted because the motherboard is receiving power from the PSU.

The brief flashing on of the power switch led indicates power is passing through the controller, however, somewhere along the line the power switch is not sending a command to the controller to power on the system.

Please carefully observe the wiring harness that is going from the front panel of the case to motherboard connectors for a mis-aligned connector.

Also, please make sure that the 12 Volt power connector is connected to the motherboard, this can be either a 4 pin or 8 pin plug. This is needed for the processor to power up and the system will fail to power up if this connector is not hooked up.

Hope this helps,

John

#3 darklingsun

darklingsun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

A lot of it is integrated.  It has a lap-top like power cord that basicly plugs right into the motherboard.  The power on switch, too, is right on the mother board.  I say this just to reverify, really.  However, though we are ok with computers - this one has us a little stumped.  We've followed all the wired lines and unplugged and replugged and made certain everything was snug in there, It's all ok.  But it's still doing the same thing.  The pulsing fan, blinking light, wont turn on.  I mean, immediately when we plug it in, it does this - it doesn't do anything when you press the button to power it on, just continues to blink after it's plugged in.  I hope all of this makes sense... I just can't help but feel like it's something ridiculous and we're too dumb to find it. :(

Is there anything else you can think of?  Or any tips?

Edited by darklingsun, 02 November 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#4 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

Hello darklingsun,

If all the wiring are secure. The next thing I'd test would be the power supply voltage output.

I don't have much experience with the All-in-one types. Mostly Desktops, and Notebooks.

Since everything is integrated on the motherboard, the problem may be there. Although, I'm not sue.

Maybe another member here with more experience with All-in-one PCs can suggest more.

Regards,

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users