Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless mouses don't work on laptop.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Buccura

Buccura

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:59 AM

Okay, so here is an issue I've been having. My Laptop, a Dell Inspron 5110n running Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, was using a wired mouse that was starting to go bad. So, I go to the store and bought a new Logitech wireless mouse. I plug in the wireless adapter, but nothing happens with the mouse. I try clicking it, moving it around, nothing. It registers that a device has been plugged in, but nothing works with it.

However, when I use a wired mouse, both the one I had and the one I used to use for my desktop, it works. My old mouse was a Gearhead mouse, and both the new wired one and the wireless one I attempted to use was a Logitech. Also, I tried the wireless on my Desktop and it works just fine.

Also also, my laptop is set to if it detects a mouse plugged into it, then it disables the touchpad. If I unplug the wired mouse and any other mouse, the touch pad won't work, as if there was a device plugged in. I disabled that setting and the touch pad works again. My hypothesis is that it may be a driver conflict of some sort. I tried disabling and reinstalling all the USB drivers but that didn't work.

Edited by hamluis, 02 November 2013 - 11:47 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hello Buccura,

Try this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-USB-devices

John

#3 Buccura

Buccura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

Ran the program but it didn't solve the problem. I tried it with the wireless mouse receiver plugged in but all it detected was a bunch of missing printer drivers that I don't even need.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

Against the possibility that your new shiny wireless mouse is faulty, try plugging it into someone else's computer and see if it works there. If it doesn't, I would take it back to the shop to see what they have to say.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Buccura

Buccura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

Against the possibility that your new shiny wireless mouse is faulty, try plugging it into someone else's computer and see if it works there. If it doesn't, I would take it back to the shop to see what they have to say.

Chris Cosgrove

I already tried it on my desktop and it worked fine there, so the mouse itself is not faulty.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Do you happen to have installed logitech drivers (if any on support site) prior or reinstalled the touchpad driver just in case?

Tekken

#7 Buccura

Buccura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

I did once have a Logitech wireless mouse before I used the Gearhead one, but it went bad on me so I got the later to replace it. I don't remember if I uninstalled the drivers for it. As for the touchpad driver I do not recall ever reinstalling it.

#8 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

Try a different wireless mouse.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

You can try removing all previous mouse drivers and then installing the correct driver for the new logitech wireless if available. The touchpad driver reinstall is also a harmless approach just to make sure they are not corrupted.

Tekken

#10 Buccura

Buccura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

I tried a different one and it worked. I once again tried the new mouse I'm trying to get working on my laptop on my desktop, and it works there too. So for some reason, this specific mouse does not want to work on my laptop.

#11 Buccura

Buccura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:57 AM

Okay after fiddling around a bit, I got it working. I think the issue was when I deleted a program called DS3 tool, it didn't properly remove the drivers and that may have been what caused the issue.

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

Thank You for reporting back that the problem is solved. You solution may help others with the same Problem.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users