Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot problem + dropbox.exe bad image (security.dll?)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kyvan

Kyvan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

Hello. This is my first post in this forum.

My problem is as follows: 

Today I started my computer up as usual, first thing that opened was Skype, it crashed, had to restart, and then weird stuff started happening. Firstly, the booting time increased in length, particularly after I press on the account icon. The screen doesn't load as fast as it always had, all I can see at the beginning is the pointer (the rest is all black), and only after a rather long while does everything else start to appear. I've also noticed that the toolbars I had on the taskbar have dissappeared.

Secondly, and perhaps this is unrelated but I don't think so, an error message pops up once it finally loads the desktop, saying something like "dropbox.exe - bad image ... [route]/security.dll is an invalid file that cannot be run by windows or is damaged..." or a message along those lines (if you want me to deliver the whole text I will write it down the next time I reboot, thing is, I'll have to translate it from Spanish, so it might not be the exact same thing you would get in English). One of the times I rebooted it to see if just turning it on and off again would make this go away I got the "This copy of Windows is not genuine" message (it is genuine). This hasn't happened again, luckily. 

Since these two problems are happening at the same time I imagine they might be somehow related, but I'm unsure. 

Hopefully it won't be too hard to sort this out? Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  When the installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:

Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Then click on Finish.

3)  MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. 

4)  Click on perform Quick Scan, then click on the Scan button.

If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

5)  The scan will now begin, this may take some time to complete so please be patient.

6)  When the scan is finished click on Show Results to display all objects found.

7)  Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

8)  Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.

Make sure that every item shown in the results has a check mark in the box next to it, then click on Remove Selected.

9)  When removal is completed, a log will open in Notepad.

This log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of the log in your next post, then exit MBAM.

Important:  If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Please copy the Malwarebytes log and paste it in your next post.

To locate this file right click on the Start orb and choose Open Windows Explorer, then click on C: drive.

When the C: drive opens click on the following:  ProgramData, Malwarebytes, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Logs.  

If there is more than one log, choose the log with the date that you ran scan that I requested.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kyvan

Kyvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

The message of "not genuine" windows has appeared again. I had run a MBAM full-scan yesterday, as I wrote my first post, and it didn't tell of anything wrong (I also ran CCleaner after that, erased some things but nothing has visibly changed). Here's the last log, of the quick-scan (it's in Spanish, but I guess it's transparent): 

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Versión de la Base de Datos: v2013.07.13.01

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16721
Iván :: ELYS [limitado]

02/11/2013 20:23:21
mbam-log-2013-11-02 (20-23-21).txt

Tipos de Análisis: Análisis Rápido
Opciones de análisis activado: Memoria | Inicio | Registro | Sistema de archivos | Heurística/Extra | Heurística/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Opciones de análisis desactivados: P2P
Objetos examinados: 189774
Tiempo transcurrido: 11 minuto(s), 1 segundo(s)

Procesos en Memoria Detectados: 0
(No se han detectado elementos maliciosos)

Módulos de Memoria Detectados: 0

Claves del Registro Detectados: 0

Valores del Registro Detectados: 0

Elementos de Datos del Registro Detectados: 0

Carpetas Detectadas: 0

Archivos Detectados: 0

fin)

Edited by Kyvan, 02 November 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Please run the long test.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Kyvan

Kyvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Versión de la Base de Datos: v2013.07.13.01

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16721
Iván :: ELYS [limitado]

04/11/2013 12:38:08
mbam-log-2013-11-04 (12-38-08).txt

Tipos de Análisis: Análisis Completo (C:\|D:\|E:\|)
Opciones de análisis activado: Memoria | Inicio | Registro | Sistema de archivos | Heurística/Extra | Heurística/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Opciones de análisis desactivados: P2P
Objetos examinados: 449411
Tiempo transcurrido: 2 hora(s), 1 minuto(s), 20 segundo(s)

Procesos en Memoria Detectados: 0

Módulos de Memoria Detectados: 0

Claves del Registro Detectados: 0

Valores del Registro Detectados: 0

Elementos de Datos del Registro Detectados: 0

Carpetas Detectadas: 0

Archivos Detectados: 0

fin)

Update: I downloaded some windows thing it has stopped saying the version is not genuine, however, the boot problem and the dropbox.exe dll problem are still there. 

#6 Kyvan

Kyvan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

Okay, the "not genuine" sign is back there; I really don't know what to do about this anymore. 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Go to Microsoft Support and follow the instructions in Method A: Disable the Plug and Play Policy.

Method B involves the possibility for a registry edit.  Unless you are familiar with editing the registry and would be comfortable doing a edit I would suggest not doing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users