Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Several Problems With Incredimail...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

Well, I was going to use pictures to explain my problem, but since Paint has disappeared off my computer, I guess words will have to do. I'll do the best I can to explain this in a way that makes some sense.

Last night, I downloaded Incredimail without really even knowing what it is. I know...pretty dumb....LOL!! I had joined a group to get tags to use in my email and on message boards, but they were also giving us something called Letters. I asked what Letters were, and I was told that they are to be used with Incredimail. So I downloaded it. I thought it was something that I could use with my other email accounts, but I didn't know that what it really does it take all your mail from one account and move it to Incredimail!!

In case this next part is important, I'll tell you now. I have SBC Yahoo DSL AND AOL. There are two computers in my house, my laptop and a family computer. Both of these share the same SBC Yahoo DSL provider, and we all have AOL emails through the same AOL account, too. When I turn on my laptop, SBC is what is running, but then I sign onto my AOL account and usually surf the web, check email, etc. I just recently realized that there was mail in my SBC Yahoo DSL account, but it was only mail from a Yahoo Group, and I have since changed that group's mail to be sent to a Gmail account instead. So, my point is that although Yahoo is my Primary Internet Service Provider, I don't use their email, and instead immediately sign onto AOL to do everything I do online.

I also have two AOL email accounts, three Gmail accounts, a Hotmail account, and in addition to the current SBC Yahoo DSL email account, there is an old NON-DSL Yahoo email account. I only have the Hotmail account to join MSN Groups and the old Yahoo account to join Yahoo Groups. I also only use one of my AOL email accounts. As I said, I'm not sure if this stuff is important to my problem, but just in case it is, I thought I'd pass along the information now.

Okay, back to my current problem. After downloading and installing Incredimail, I went to my Desktop and clicked on the Incredimail envelope icon. Immediately after doing so, a window that said MSN Internet Explorer opened up, and another smaller window opened up that had my very old, original AOL screen name and a place to enter my password. There was also a message that I think was flashing, can't remember for sure, and it said, "Authorizing: AOL." Since I don't currently use that old AOL account, I didn't remember the password, but even without entering a password or doing anything, mail was being transferred to Incredimail. The way I knew this was because another little window opened up in the upper right corner of my screen, and it was showing what percent of my AOL mail had been moved to Incredimail!! Since I didn't really know how Incredimail worked at this point, I was not expecting that to happen!! Also, even though the AOL screen name that was in the little window was my old one, the email that I could see coming into the Incredimail account was from the AOL email account that I currently do use. Have I lost you yet? LOL!! I hope not. I'm trying to be clear about what happened. I'm not sure why I could even see the email messages here when a password had yet to be entered and when I was still getting the message that said. "Authorizing: AOL." It seems like I would have to enter a password first before getting access to the email.

Anyway, I switched the screen name to my current one, and tried to enter my password. Even though it wouldn't take my password and kept saying it was incorrect, the same little window in the upper right corner of my screen still had a percent of email being transferred, and it was increasing by the second!! I didn't know how to stop it yet, and I also didn't want to mess anything up, so I let it finish. If I remember correctly, I think I closed everything down at this point and then clicked on the icon again to see if I could enter my password. This time though, instead of either of my AOL screen names appearing in the little window, my dad's was showing, and the percent started all over again!! This time I noticed the little "stop" icon somewhere near the top of the main window, so I clicked on it, and the percent stopped increasing. WHEW!!! At this point, I noticed that there were now two copies of each email that had been transferred so far!! I just shut the whole thing down and came here to try and explain what happened, and that is when I noticed that MS Paint was no longer on my computer so I couldn't use www.tinypic.com to show you the images of what I was talking about. I was very frustrated now, so after posting a different message about the MS Paint problem on another thread here, I went to sleep.

So, all of that happened last night. This is what has happened today, so far. When I woke up, I followed the directions given to me about how to find MS Paint, and it's no where to be found. That's why you're reading this message without pictures. Before I typed this out explaining my problem, I decided to try clicking on the Incredimail envelope icon on my Desktop one more time to see what happened. Before I clicked on the icon, I noticed that I no longer have any email in my current AOL account...except one. I don't know why that one is still there. It's one that I read last night before doing this whole Incredimail thing.

Anyway, I clicked on the envelope icon on the Desktop one last time, and again my dad's screen name came up, and the percent of mail being transferred started again!! This was now the third or fourth time this had happened, either with my old email account or my dad's current one. I've checked the mail that is showing in the Incredimail window, despite the password problems, and so far, all I see is two and three copies of my own email.

Soooooo, here are my questions:

1.) What am I doing wrong? LOL!!!

2.) Why is Incredimail taking my AOL email, from the old account even, and not the SBC Yahoo DSL email account when according to the Incredimail FAQ I read, it says that it takes your current most, frequently used account's email? I just tried to find that information again to copy and paste it exactly as I read it, but now I can't find it. Seems to be a theme today. LOL!!

3.) How do I get Incredimail to stop making more and more copies of the same email each time I click the envelope icon on the Desktop?

4.) How do I get Incredimail to finish Authorizing: AOL? That message never stops.

5.) How do I get Incredimail to accept my password?

6.) How do I make sure that only my email is transferred to Incredimail or that only my screen name appears and not everyone else's in my family who has an AOL account?

7.) I currently only use Gmail for my personal email which is the same email I'd want to use Incredimail feature with. Can Gmail be used with Incredimail, and if so, does it work the same exact way as Gmail where you can archive your mail and star it, etc.? If so, how do I do it?

8.) In the event that I don't like using Incredimail, can I transfer my messages back to AOL?

9.) Is there any other information you have on Incredimail that, based on my story about the problems I'm having and/or based on my questions above, you think would be helpful to me?

I guess that's it. Thanks for reading this long message and for any help you can provide me. It's very much appreciated!! Have a great day!!

Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 04:17 PM

I just wanted to give an update on this problem. As I'm going through the mail in this account, so far I'm only noticing email from the current, most used AOL screen name, and I have nobody else's email in there from what I can tell. This is definitely a good thing! :thumbsup:

I'm still having all the same problems I mentioned in the first post about this. I've emailed Incredimail directly about all of this, but I have yet to hear back. Also, I spent some time reading tutorials on the internet about Incredimail, as well as their own Help section, but I can't find anything to help with these problems. In the meantime, I now have FIVE of each email in my inbox!!

I think I'm going to have to try and get rid of Incredimail for now because I'm having too many problems that I can't seem to resolve. I just need to find and read the directions on how to do this without losing any of my messages. My main concern about losing the messages is that AOL has a limit on how many emails you can have taking up space, and I believe that there are WAY more in my Incredimail inbox because of the multiple copies of each of them. I started to delete the extra copies, but it was taking forever because there are thousands of them. I'm afraid that when I do the transfer, AOL will just delete any of the ones that don't fit in the account, and I'll have no way of knowing which ones they were.

So, if anyone out there has any advice on my situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!!
Michele

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:25 PM

Getting rid of Incredimail is a good solution; you can use Outlook Express or Thunderbird without having any of the spyware and system problems associated with Incrudimail (which seems not to be deleting downloaded E-mails from the AOL server.
Before taking any action, though, review the AOL E-mails by checking them from the web; make sure they are all there in your AOL In-box. I suspect the huge number of duplicated E-mails only reside in your Incredimail folders, NOT on AOL's site.
If this is so, you may safely delete Incredimail, and then set up one of the applications I have mentioned for POP email from AOL (AOL should have complete instructions for setting up accounts that you can follow).
Let us know if you foresee any problems with any E-mails before you take major action.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:32 AM

Hello!

Okay, this morning I checked my AOL account, and there were about ten new emails in there which I deleted. After reading your response to my question, I checked in my AOL inbox, and there is only one email in there, and it has today's date. Does that mean that all the email that was originally in my AOL account is now ONLY in my Incrudimail :thumbsup: account? I'm confused as to why I'm still getting mail in my AOL inbox because I thought it was all being transferred to Incredimail.

Today I was playing around with some settings in Incredimail trying to figure out why some of my outgoing mail won't go out. I went to a screen in accounts I think it was, where there were two or three copies of my current email address. One said default, one had a 2 after it, and one had a three after it. My dad's email address was also listed. I removed all of them except for one, which was my current AOL email address.
I eventually got all the outgoing mail to send but one, and I noticed that the one that wouldn't go out had my old AOL email address as the sender. I still couldn't fix that problem, and I've decided I'm not at all happy with Incrudimail!! Even the two emails that actually did go out didn't work correctly. The reason I know this is because I sent them to my Gmail account to test it out, and when I opened it in Gmail, none of the pictures were there, which is kind of the whole point of using Incredimail, right? Every other email I get in that account has pictures showing so I know it's something with Incredimail.

So, what I'd like to do is get rid of Incredimail all together and just go back to using the same AOL account I was using before I downloaded Incredimail. I'm not sure what Outlook Express or Thunderbird is and what they're used for. Also, what is POP email? You mentioned it in your last post, but I don't know what it is.

I'm not sure if it's safe to go through whatever process I have to go through to get my email put back into my AOL account. Do you know if it's safe, and if so, what are the steps I go through to do this without losing my mail since most of it has not been read since there is now almost 4,000 emails in my inbox. Isn't that too many emails to fit into my AOL account? What happens to the mail that doesn't fit?

I still never received an answer to either of my emails to Incredimail's tech. support so I appreciate your help very much! Thanks!!

Michele :flowers:

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

" Does that mean that all the email that was originally in my AOL account is now ONLY in my Incrudimail smile.gif account? I'm confused as to why I'm still getting mail in my AOL inbox because I thought it was all being transferred to Incredimail."

Let's discuss how an E-mail POP (which stands for post office protocol) application like Incredimail (or Outlook Express or Thunderbird) is supposed to work. All E-mail sent to your address resides in your original Inbox, which you can look at by using your internet browser. A POP application will query the original account (either periodically or when you hit a button) and download any E-mails that might be in the Inbox. These are then stored on your hard drive by the application and you read and manipulate them with the application. Most of these applications by default will, after they have downloaded all the mail in your Inbox, delete the originals on the Web---this avoids downloading the same E-mails over and over again, and keeps your In-box clean. In between the downloadings, though, E-mails may accumulate in the Web Inbox.
Sending E-mails works in a similar fashion. You can create your E-mail in the application, include attachments, and decide whether to save it as a draft or send it right away (assuming you are connected to the internet in the latter case). When you hit the send button, the application contacts the Web account, and uploads your E-mail to your account where it is then transmitted using the account's programe. E-mails you have sent are usually kept (at least) on your hard drive and are found in the application's sent box; depending on how you have set up your original E-mail account on the Web, they may also be stored in its Sent Folder.
So you can see that Incredimail is just a programme middle man sitting between you and the Web E-mail account you have.

Since I have never used Incredimail, I can offer at best some educated guesses about some of your questions based on my knowledge of other POP Email applications. I hope I address all of them, either in my brief discussion above, or here:

1. If the E-mails are not in any Folder when you check your account with your browser, then they should be kept (somewhere) on your hard drive, assuming you have not deleted them in Incredimail after you read them. You could find out where these are stored by looking through the FAQs at the Incredimail site. If they are still on your hard drive, look for instructions on "EXPORTING" E-mails; these should tell you how to export your saved E-mails to a folder for future use (bear in mind that you may not be able to read them, depending on the file type Incredimail uses to store them; you may, however, be able to then IMPORT these into another application (Microsoft's Outlook Express is probably somewhere on your computer).
Once you have stored (exported) the E-mails, you should be able to use the add/delete programmes in your Control Panel to get rid of Incredimail.

2. Somehow, it seems that you set up more Incredimail accounts (or profiles) than you should have, and that has caused some of the problems. If you should decide to keep Incredimail, I would suggest you delete each and every account, and begin again with just one NEW Incredimail account.
Make sure that the new one works, and then add an account for your dad, if that is what you want to do.

3. AOL is pretty quirky about how it handles E-mail attachments, so the problem of losing them may be caused by AOL or something you forgot to do when you set up the original POP account in Incredimail. I would try an experiment and set up a Gmail account in Incredimail and see if attachments to your outgoing E-mails will work with Gmail.

I hope I have answered all your questions, but if there are some remaining, or I have not been clear, please reply.

Regards,
John

#6 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:14 PM

Hi John!

You did a very good job of explaining how an E-mail POP works. That's one of the things that I LOVE about BC is you don't just tell me what to do, but you help explain the way things work in a way that is detailed and easy enough to understand for people just learning how to use all the cool things a computer can do. You don't just say, "Do this, then this, and finally this." Instead you tell us "why" we're doing it. Thank you for that!! As a teacher, I value this even more because it's just plain ol' good teaching practice. :thumbsup:

Now for a few questions for clarification:

1. When you say, "A POP application will query the original account," in my circumstance, does that mean that Incredimail periodically looks in my AOL Inbox to see if there are any new emails, and if there are, then it downloads them to the Incredimail Inbox?

2. When you say, "These are then stored on your hard drive by the application and you read and manipulate them with the application," does "the application" mean the same thing as a program, which in this case is Incredimail? Also, to be sure I understand this, are the emails that are downloaded from my AOL Inbox and into the Incredimail Inbox stored on my laptop's hard drive, meaning that if there are about 4,000 emails in there, it could explain why so much of my memory is taken up?

3. You said, " If the E-mails are not in any Folder when you check your account with your browser, then they should be kept (somewhere) on your hard drive, assuming you have not deleted them in Incredimail after you read them. You could find out where these are stored by looking through the FAQs at the Incredimail site. If they are still on your hard drive..."

Some information regarding this is that I called AOL, and I did a live chat with Tech. Support people, and I asked them about this. They said that the email is stored on AOL's hard drive for 27 days. They told me that it was still on their hard drive, even if I deleted it in Incredimail. Now whether or not this is true, I don't know because I have been given incorrect info. before, but I'm thinking since I heard it from TWO sources this time, that my chances are better. :flowers:

You said, "If they are still on your hard drive, look for instructions on "EXPORTING" E-mails; these should tell you how to export your saved E-mails to a folder for future use."

So, if the AOL Tech. Support people were correct and the emails are NOT on my hard drive but are on their server, then will the Exporting work? I'm going to go look in the FAQ section of Incredimail, but I thought I'd see if you knew the answer to this in case it's not there. Do you know if I can Export the email that's in Incredimail to my Gmail account instead of putting it back into my AOL account? I'm thinking I might stop using AOL, and I LOVE Gmail.

5. You said, "Somehow, it seems that you set up more Incredimail accounts (or profiles) than you should have, and that has caused some of the problems."

Yes, it was very strange that so many of the same email accounts wound up in Incredimail, plus my old account and my dad's current account, because I only tried to do the process one time, and I only tried to do it with my own current account. I doubt that I will be using Incredimail again, but if I ever do, I will definitely take your advice about starting all over. My dad doesn't even use my laptop, or Incredimail for that matter, so I won't need him on my account. Plus, it looks like I'm going to be moving soon, fingers crossed here, into my own apartment. It's been a long time coming!

Well, I guess that's it for now. Thanks so much, once again!! Have a wonderful day!!

Michele

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for numbering your questions, it makes replying somewhat easier.

1. Assuming you are on-line, and have your options so set up, Incredimail should poll your AOL in-box periodically (you should be able to specify how often, and the frequency will depend primarily on how many E-mails you get and whether they are very important to read immediately).

2. Technicially speaking, Incredimail is an application and not a program; another word often used interchangeably is client (hence the term, for example, client/server to describe POP Email set ups).

3. Once you download your E-mails, they are usually deleted from your AOL inbox (again, this is often an option in the application), and retained somewhere on your hard drive designated by Incredimail, unless you elect otherwise or delete them yourself after they are read.
It may very well be that AOL has these E-mails, even after you delete them even on-line, in some sort of backup repository. If so, they can "resurrect" these if you request it.
3.1 Every good system has a "disaster recovery" plan, and this includes storing user data in a secure and separate place. No doubt, then, AOL can retrieve your deleted E-mails from their storage. Every good computer user should also have a disaster recovery plan, even if it only consists of creating copies of important E-mails, applications, documents, and priceless photographs on a disk and storing this in another room.

4.1 The E-mails probably reside both in the AOL vaults and somewhere on your hard drive. I did some research earlier, and it appears that it is difficult to export Incredimail files without an additional, separate, application. Obviously, if you deleted the E-mails right after you read them in Incredimail, they are (for all practical purposes) not retrievable. The solution I would advise is to ask AOL to restore the E-mails they have archived. They will move them into your AOL account.

5. I was making an educated guess.

I would suggest you think about using this configuration, after you uninstall Incredimail. You have a Gmail account, and Google mail supports POP access. I prefer keeping my personal E-mail in an account NOT provided by any ISP; that way, you can drop AOL as as ISP (internet service provider) and you still have the same E-mail address.
I used to use Microsoft's Outlook Express (it is probably already loaded on your computer) as the application with which I downloaded my E-mails; but after changing my browser to Mozilla several years ago, I used its E-mail client. Now I use their stand alone E-mail application, Thunderbird, for POP E-mail service from Gmail (among others). Either of these applications is preferable to Incredimail (where you get spyware with all those ugly smilies) and either works very well with Gmail. If you check Gmail HELP under POP Access, you will find complete instructions for setting up either.
(Once the Emails have been restored to your AOL on-line account, you should be able to download them using Tb or OEx - - -you can have an account for AOL and for G-Mail at the same time); both Tb and OEx have easy Export capabilities to facilitate storage).

I hope this post answers your questions.
Best regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 12 May 2006 - 06:31 PM.

#8 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

Get rid of Incredimail. Its spyware! Just use something like Mozilla Thunderbird or Outlook Express. Your choice. Using one of those two programs I mentioned should clean up your mess....
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

Get rid of Incredimail. Its spyware!

IncrediMail may not be a perfect mail utility. It may be very buggy and unstable. But it is not spyware.

Is IncrediMail spyware?

No, it is not. IncrediMail does not install any PC surveillance tools, capture keystrokes, log your communications, etc.

See this link for the IncrediMail Privacy Policy and complete note as well as the Complete privacy policy I excerpted.

Be (Unsupported Claim) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:09 PM

Get rid of Incredimail. Its spyware!

IncrediMail may not be a perfect mail utility. It may be very buggy and unstable. But it is not spyware.

Is IncrediMail spyware?

No, it is not. IncrediMail does not install any PC surveillance tools, capture keystrokes, log your communications, etc.

See this link for the IncrediMail Privacy Policy and complete note as well as the Complete privacy policy I excerpted.

Be (Unsupported Claim) Safe

I must disagree. I have done spyware scans with Webroot SpySweeper when Incredimail was on my laptop and it came up as spyware over 20+ times! You cannot tell me this is a glitch in SS.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:29 AM

I have asked a couple of friends who like to test things out. Both ran the exact same scenario you mention Jesse. Webroot SpySweeper and IncrediMail. Both came up with zero instances of verified spyware. However there was only one "welcome" email in both test cases. Also they were absolutely barebones versions of IncrediMail. So this tells me a couple of things, either you had mail that was infected. Or that what you are seeing is false positives?

This also does not mean that plugins or extra downloads to "enhance" IncrediMail are not spyware. My point is that it is unfair to claim IncrediMail itself is spyware, without more specifics. Because I can prove it is not.

Be (All the facts) Safe

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:05 AM

As I remember from what I have read here and elsewhere over the years, the general concensus is that the barebones version of Incredimail does not have spyware, but many of the "extras" do, as well as many of the Smilie downloads that seem so attractive. Depending on what was downloaded, then, one could scan its folder and arrive at two different conclusions, even using the same anti-spyware application.
Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users