Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer will not power up...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ricw91756

ricw91756

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

Dell Latitude D620 with XP Pro OS. Computer was shut down using the power up button. Now it will not power up. Nothing lights up. Was working fine before the shut down. Charger is new. Indicator light on charger works. The charging indicator on the computer does not light up when plugged in. Nothing lights up on computer. Can anyone help? I am on fixed income and cannot afford to pay a repair shop. Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2013 - 02:56 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

If you push both plugs in harder on both sides of the charger does that
that do anything?

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

This is a laptop, so it has a battery. Assuming there was at least some charge in the battery before this shut-down took place, there should be sufficient volts to run the computer - at least for a while.

Depending on how it is wired, the indicator light on your mains charger unit may only indicate the presence of mains electricity. Use a meter to check that there is something between about 18 and 20V DC available at the plug that connects into the laptop. If there is, great. If there isn't, this indicates either a faulty charger or a broken lead between the charger and the plug. Since the output lead on most chargers is hard-wired into the charger, this means you need a new charger.

Remove the battery and then replace it, and assuming the charger is producing an output at the plug, reconnect it to the laptop and try again.

Normally, a computer which has undergone a hard shut down using the power button like yours, will restart as far as the 'Safe mode' options screen,and, if you do nothing else, go on to boot normally after a pause of 30 seconds.

Try the above, and if it doesn't work, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 ricw91756

ricw91756
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

OK I checked the battery and charger on another computer similar to mine. They are both working properly. As I stated above, the system was working fine before the hard shutdown. Now it does nothing. My problem was caused by the hard shutdown but it is definitely not the battery or charger. Since my system is not working, I have to go to the library to access this site. It would be lots easier if someone could call me. My number is xxx-xxx-xxx. Pplz call the first number first. My name is Ric. Thanks

Mod Edit:  Removed phone number.  Just a reminder that the purpose of this and all forums...is to conduct business within the forums, not via any private or semi-private means - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 05 November 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

I reckon I am fairly good with computers, but I am the first to admit I don't know it all or even nearly all, but this is the first time I think I have come across a case where a computer just sat and did nothing after a hard shut down.

Why did you do a hard shut down ?  There may be a clue here.

This may be off the wall, but to do a hard shut down you have to press and hold the power button. Is it possible the button has stayed stuck in the 'Down' position ?  This would prevent it giving the necessary start-up pulse to the system. Might be worth you checking this.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:29 AM

Ok, you have verified that both the battery and the charger work with other machines. If the charger won't power up the computer, and it won't run off the battery, that doesn't leave much but a failed mainboard. So you are probably in the market for a used laptop.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users