Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shadow/twin WiFi network?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 its0908

its0908

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hi All,

I'm completely in the dark about what's going on here, so please forgive my bungling of the relevant terminology. I was messing around with my WiFi settings to try and speed up a really slow connection, and I came across something strange. I was using iStumble to find the best channel for my network, and as soon as I changed the channel on my router (network name INTERNET), the channel on a different network (called VOIP) also changed. I looked more closely and noticed that all the settings are exactly the same for both networks (see attached screenshot). Does anybody have any idea what this is? What is this second network, and could it be slowing me down? The network was originally set up by my landlord.

Thanks for any light you could shed on this.

Macbook Air 2013, OSX Mavericks

Router is a Huawei Echolife

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

its0908, what does "The network was originally set up by my landlord." mean? Which network?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 its0908

its0908
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply. I just meant that the router and internet was already set up when I moved into the apartment, and I didn't do the initial configuration. That said, there's no reference to the second network, "VOIP", in the router setup page.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Do you have a home phone? Because that router you listed will do VoIP(voice over IP) if you can look in the router set up you might see if VoIP is set up.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 its0908

its0908
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay in getting back.

No, I don't have a landline. Could this be some sort of QoS setup, i.e. VoIP, then streaming video, etc...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users