Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infuriating Epson Printer Wireless Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AlinNYC

AlinNYC

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

I have an Epson WF-3540 printer.  It is supposed to be connected via wireless network to a Toshiba laptop running Windows 8 and an HP laptop running Windows 7. 

The printer thinks it's connected to the network, and shows an "excellent" connection and a proper IP address, etc.  The printer shows up in my router's DHCP client list, and can be sucessfully pinged over the network. 

But it still won't print, scan, etc. from either of the computers.  It shows as "offline" no matter what I do, and print jobs just pile up in the queue.  Every now and again it surprises me and gives me hope by printing a page or 2, but then it's right back to "offline" again.  Calls to Epson follow the same set of questions and the same script of disconnecting/connecting, etc., followed by being kicked up to the next level, followed by them basically throwing up their hands and telling me that it is the fault of my network or my computer or something, which is utterly infuriating.  However, the previous Canon printer over the same network worked just fine (until its paper jam sensors stopped working, that is).  

Anyone here have any further ideas on what I can do about this?  I'm on the verge of sending Epson back a pile of plastic shards that once was a "printer".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

Don't do that - Epson would probably say you had breached the warranty conditions !

I have an Epson, albeit a different model, and it works perfectly well over the network. I have one computer wired into it and my wife's laptop connects by wireless. I would suggest you uninstall the printer drivers off the Toshiba and start again. It is probably worth your while checking the Epson 'Quick start' guide for your printer to make sure you get the install / set up sequence correct. Printers are notoriously fussy about the sequence in which they are set up.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2013 - 08:34 AM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis.

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 AlinNYC

AlinNYC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

Deleting and reloading the drivers was, as it turns out, only part of the solution.  I actually did that twice, and it didn't fix the problem.  But, the second time around, the updater ran for some reason, and it showed that there was updated firmware available for this model.   Once I loaded the new firmware (which also took a couple of tries) the printer seems to working fine now over the wireless network.  I've printed a whole bunch of different things now, used the scanner and the fax, and all seems to work well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users