Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My internet feels like it's gone back to 56k!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Arran82

Arran82

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

Hello,

So I'm not computing dinosaur but this has me stumped and any help would be appreciated!

About two weeks ago web pages either stopped loading or were really slow to load. If I reset my router it would fix the problem for a while.... maybe 10 minutes, maybe an hour, different every time! After a bit it would be back to the snail pace again...or sometimes not loading at all, its basically making the internet useless.

I've tried scanning using various different applications to see if I have a virus...but it's found nothing.

I know the internet is fine though as other computers in the house work ok and so do other application like Steam and Utorrent even when I can't get a webpage up!

I'll probably be asked for specs but i'm not sure what you'll need......

it's Windows 7 and happens on every browser (chrome, firefox etc)

any ideas at all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kbadaloni

kbadaloni

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Have you done all of the steps to determine if it is malware?  I saw you did scans for viruses.  

-Rkill

-Hitmanpro

-MalwareBytes

-TDSSKiller for rootkits

All clean?

#3 Arran82

Arran82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

yeah they all came back clean

#4 kbadaloni

kbadaloni

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Are you using an onboard NIC hard or is it a PCI one?  Do you see any blown capacitors? (if you don't know what those look like click here)

#5 Arran82

Arran82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:17 AM

PCI one.

#6 kbadaloni

kbadaloni

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

Do you see any blown capacitors? On the card or on the motherboard?

#7 Arran82

Arran82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:32 AM

ive check but they all seem fine, definitely not blown 

#8 kbadaloni

kbadaloni

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Try I different PCI card and see if thats the issue.  If not you'll want to uninstall the Ethernet drivers from Device manager and reinstall.  

#9 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

Couple of things to try..

If you are currently on a wireless connection, connect the problem computer to the router with an ethernet cable.  Does the problem still exist?

Connect the problem computer directly to the modem with an ethernet cable.  Does the problem still exist?

If the problem goes away with either of the above, you could try a hard reset on the router.  That usually involves holding down a hidden reset button for a number of seconds.  See your routers manual. 

Edited by ddeerrff, 04 November 2013 - 03:09 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:27 PM

If I reset my router it would fix the problem for a while.... maybe 10 minutes, maybe an hour, different every time! After a bit it would be back to the snail pace again...or sometimes not loading at all, its basically making the internet useless.

Do you see the problem on a different computer or check if the router is faulty? However, the direct modem connection suggested is a solid approach to determine the possible culprit.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users