Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash-drive Capacity

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 First1

First1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

So I am trying to use my HP 4 GB flashdrive as a bootable device to install Windows 8.1 on my Windows 7 laptop.

My problem is that the flashdrive has the capactiy of 3.72 gb and the iso file I am trying to boot is 3.8. 

When I went on command prompt, and did the following steps: (from user on this forum)

1) Type "DISKPART" from the Command Prompt (accessible by clicking on Start and then typing "cmd" into the open field); you will then see the following prompt: DISKPART>
2) Type "LIST DISK" to see what number your USB drive is listed as.
3) Type "SELECT DISK 2" (if your USB is disk 2; replace # with your disk #); Diskpart will confirm that "Disk 2 is now the select disk."
4) Type "SELECT PARTITION 1" (this command selects what should be the only partition on your USB drive, the small one that you want to delete to get back the larger, full partition size). Diskpart will confirm with "Partition 1 is now the selected partition."
5) Type "DELETE PARTITION". This will delete the old partition. There are no warning prompts if you have existing data - make sure you have copied everything off before doing this!
6) Type "CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY" to create a new, full-size partition. Diskpart will confirm with message of "Diskpart succeeded in creating the specified partition." You can type in "LIST PARTITION" to confirm the new, full-size.
7) Type "EXIT" to leave Diskpart. You can now format your USB drive by using the standard Windows formatting process. 

MY flashdrive remains at 3.72 gb but shows 3819 MB which is essentially 3.8 gb on the disk list in command prompt.

How do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

The problem is that going from MB to GB isnt just a factor of 1000 its a factor of 1024, so if you take 3819MB divided by 1024  you get.... 3.72GB.

You will not be able to get it any larger than that unfortunately, you are going to need to get a bigger flash drive, or put it on a DVD

#3 First1

First1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

The problem is that going from MB to GB isnt just a factor of 1000 its a factor of 1024, so if you take 3819MB divided by 1024  you get.... 3.72GB.

You will not be able to get it any larger than that unfortunately, you are going to need to get a bigger flash drive, or put it on a DVD

Ah.. I see. Is it possible to compress the iso somehow and still have it bootable?

The thing is I have multiple flashdrives but they are all 4gb so buying a new one is a waste.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

First of all - Welcome to BC !

The short answer to your last question is NO. The Windows installer is already compressed.

If you have an optical drive on the Win 7 laptop, GreenGiant's suggestion of a DVD is the way to go. I will admit that because I ship a lot of data all over the place I buy mine in bulk - at £UK 15 / 100 - so I basically ignore the cost of blank 4.7 Gb discs. Retail, in packs of 1, 2 or 5, they cost more indivdually but not that much more.

So, if you have an optical drive, you have the choice of using a 4.7 Gb DVD, or buying an 8 Gb memory stick. If you don't have an optical drive, then I'm afraid it's the larger memory stick. Can you borrow one ?

Chris Cosgrove

#5 First1

First1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

Thank you both for replying to my thread to help me out. 

I ended up downloaded the Windows 8 ISO that was somehow able to fit on my flashdrive and install it. After installing 8, I just proceeded to upgrade to 8.1 with no worries. 

#6 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

Ah.. I see. Is it possible to compress the iso somehow and still have it bootable?

The thing is I have multiple flashdrives but they are all 4gb so buying a new one is a waste.

Glad to hear you got the issue fixed, one thing to just remember is also sometimes when trying to fit a program with almost the same size as your storage capacity, a defrag and free space wipe on the drive will help. that will keep your drive completely open with no issues :). Compressing an Iso will not work when attempting to boot from this as well. just for future reference :)  

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users