Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Water spill on laptop, beeping noise at startup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aigreo

Aigreo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hey guys. around 24 hours ago in the wee morning hours, I accidentally spilled some amount of water on my HP Pavilion dv7-6135dx laptop (probably just a small amount in the lower left hand portion of the keyboard, and it was tap water with a sugar-free flavor packet mixed in). Because of the lack of light I hadn't realized any got in, but once my keyboard became unresponsive I went through the steps and removed the battery and let my laptop sit upside down for a day.

Now, the first two times I turned my laptop back on to test it out, it refused to boot and sat at the black screen with a loud beeping sound. The third time I tried several hours later, it started up with absolutely no issue. It ran alright until I tried typing at one point, and the "1" key became stuck and I quickly shut it back down. The next try went successfully  up to the "failed shutdown" screen before it started beeping, and each subsequent time I (unwisely) turned it back on, it was as unsuccessful as the first.

I plan on getting it serviced, but I was wondering if this might just be a matter of replacing the keyboard? It would be great if anyone might have any answers.

Edited by Aigreo, 01 November 2013 - 12:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

Probably a stuck key. Id have it taken apart and cleaned. Sugary drinks dry
with sticky residue.

#3 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

Unfortunately, considering that at first you were unaware there had been any water spilled into the keyboard, it may have soaked or run down further into the laptop.

While power was on, this may have done a bit more damage than is suspected due to electrical current flowing through the water, so be aware it may be more than just a replacement keyboard required.

Normally in these circumstances, considering there would be very little sugar involved, though other soluables may be involved, it is generally recommended that the laptop should be disconnected from power and the battery removed straight away. Then the laptop placed somewhere warm for at least a full twenty four hour period in order to try and fully dry the liquid.

If any amount of sugar is involved in the liquid, do expect things to stick, keyboard keys especially.

If power is left on in any form while still wet, damage can occur due to the water shorting components and burning out the more sensitive chips and other components.

Considering you are reporting problems after a drying out period, it does need a technician to look into it further to be able to diagnose what if anything else, is also damaged as well as keyboard parts.

Hopefully it is only the keyboard which can be replaced at reasonable cost, though do be aware there may be more.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#4 Aigreo

Aigreo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

Well, after checking the flavoring package, apparently the contents were completely sugarless, so it seemed like that shouldn't have been much of a factor. But after trying tapping each keys several times, apparently that did the trick since everything's up and running flawlessly.

I've only started it up a couple times, so if there's any other issues, I guess I guess I'll be getting a new keyboard (and a loud surprise).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users