Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Usb 4 Port Hub Is Giving An Error Message

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thorntonman

thorntonman

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 02:31 PM

I have a DELL Latitude C640 laptop which has a single USB port as stand alone and 2 ports when in docking station. I require the use of several USB attached devices when docked, keyboard, mouse, printer, MP3 so bought a universal 4 port hub to expand capacity. This device works on my other laptop and 2 other PCs in the house but when I connect to the C640 I get the error message showing device not working. All USB devices (keyboard, mouse, printer, MP3) connect and work OK when connected directly to the ports in the docking station but not when the 4 port hub is attached. I have also tried to connect the USB mouse using a USB->PS2 adaptor and it does not function. When the USB hub is connected the indicator light comes on to show in use but Windows does not recognise it. I have checked the USB drivers for my C640 and compared them to the ones on one of the working PCs and they appear to be the same versions, although I do not know ALL the ones I should be looking for.

I am running Windows XP.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

What processor do you have? Some of these devices only work on a processor with a Pentium core. Check the manufacturer's specs on the hub. I recently checked out a Belkin and they specifically said it would only work with a Pentium, though sites selling the item did not mention it.

#3 thorntonman

thorntonman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:51 PM

It is a Pentium processor. I have 2 DELL Latitude both with Pentium processors, it works on one but not the other. The only information I have on the hub is that it is a Universal Serial BUS USB 2.0 4 port 480 Mbps.

Any help?

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:14 PM

Does the hub only NOT work when it is connected to the C640 via the docking station? If this is the case, it may be that the docking station is only rated at USB 1.0, as opposed to the hub, which is USB 2.0 (faster). Does the hub work when connected directly to the Latitude C640?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:59 PM

Does the HUB have it's own 5 volt, 2 amp power supply?

Edited by just me, 01 May 2006 - 06:50 AM.

#6 thorntonman

thorntonman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:02 AM

The hub does not work when connected to the laptop directly and also not when docked either, the 'in use' indicator light on the hub illuminates in both situations showing that the hub is drawing power but Windows gives an error on the DEVICE NOT WORKING PROPERLY. The hub is a USB2.0 but also states backward compatible to USB 1.1. It does not have a separate power supply.

The hub still works on at least 3 other PCs so it is not defective

#7 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:16 AM

The problem may be that the hub does not have an independent power supply. Have you tried the USB hub on another system with all four devices (keyboard, mouse, printer, MP3) plugged in at the same time?

USB ports are supposed to supply up to 500mA (milliamps) @ 5v to power devices that donít have there own power supply. Without an independent power supply in the hub you may not be providing enough power from each of the four USB ports in the hub.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:24 PM

I agree with Just Me. Without power to the hub, the computer itself may lack the power to handle the peripherals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users