Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 restarts, freezes up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fdpdll

fdpdll

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 435 that's been giving me progressively more trouble over the past month or so.

The first indication of trouble was maybe 2-3 months ago. Infrequently while watching a video the screen would turn to random rubbish (similar to photo1.jpg) and either freeze up or restart. Once I restarted the problem wouldn't reoccur for days/weeks.

Within the past 2 weeks the situation since degraded to multiple restarts or freeze ups every time I turn on the computer. Sometimes it freezes on the Dell startup screen (photo2.jpg), almost always at this exact point in the progress bar. Other times may either freeze or restart on the Windows login screen, immediately after I login, or within 5 minutes of logging in.

Sometimes during the freeze up/restart cycle I will get a dialogue screen prompting me to enter Windows Recovery. This invariably suggests I do a system restore. Sometimes system restore works, sometimes the computer freezes during the restore process. Either way it has no apparent effect on whether the next boot will be the one that stays on.

Once the computer stays on longer than (approximately) 5 minutes, it will not freeze up even if I leave it on all day - as long as it is in use.

However, if it goes to sleep, it will almost always freeze up when it wakes up.

I am really not sure where to start troubleshooting this. I saw in another thread that someone requested a Speccy log so I installed and ran that. Results are here - http://speccy.piriform.com/results/53MmvPfYbLvfS8AHkYhyE7J

I really appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

Hello fdpdll,

Welcome to BC.

I think the best place for you to start troubleshooting is to have your system scanned for infections by our Security Team.

Speecy log shows your Antivirus as being disabled. Most likely caused by Malware.

I suggest you ask a site Moderator to move your post to our Security forum.

Hope this helps,

John

#3 fdpdll

fdpdll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:41 AM

Hi John,

Thanks.

Antivirus is deliberately disabled - and has been for quite some time - because I got fed up of the virus-like behaviour of the antivirus software itself - constant popups/pop unders prompting me to upgrade/update/BUY BUY BUY.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

The issue in photo1 is the result of artifacting which happens when the video card is having issues with the GPU or the RAM.

Does your motherboard have an on board video card, or does it only have the ATI video card?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users