Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Harddrive(I think)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Death1223

Death1223

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

So the other day I closed my laptop and then left it for a few hours. I came back and it was showing a Can't boot windows "0xc00000f" error, that it couldn't load up windows. It said it had to be reformated. I can't reformat it because I have tons of important files on the harddrive. So I brought the harddrive to my desktop computer and checked it out through a few programs. I found no traces of my other files, but I found traces of $Boot, $UpCase $MFT $Extend $RECYCLE.BIN and a few other things of that variety. Nothing else, though. I can't find any of my files.. they're just gone.. Is there any way to salvage any of my files from it? Or can you explain what happened?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:56 PM

Can you boot up into Safe Mode via hitting F8 just after the BIOS?

#3 Death1223

Death1223
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:23 AM

No, it won't let me reach anything. I can go to BIOS but that's it.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:38 AM

What kind of drive is it?

#5 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:13 AM

When you was searching for your files, where exactly was you looking? Windows should detect the drive as a slave drive when you hook it up to your desktop which will allow you to browse the contents of the drive straight from windows without any need of a program.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#6 Death1223

Death1223
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

I was using a program called EnCase that my brother uses, he's a tech geek but he can't seem to figure it out either.

It's a SeaGate.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

You will need to go to www.seagate.com and download the sea tools for dos and burn it to a cd and boot from it.

Edited by cryptodan, 01 November 2013 - 09:32 AM.

#8 Death1223

Death1223
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

I already did. When I booted to it, it gave some really weird lettering and stopped loading each time. It also makes a loud beeping noise.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

When I booted to it, it gave some really weird lettering

Chris87 gave you good advice; if I understand correctly, you were trying to boot into Windows from your slaved laptop drive, correct? That won't work. What you need to do is connect the lap drive, but boot into your desktop Windows. IF the lap drive hasn't failed mechanically, Windows will assign it a letter in Explore. You should be able to access your data files and drag & drop them onto your desktop C:\ drive. Did you do that?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 Death1223

Death1223
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

When I booted to it, it gave some really weird lettering

Chris87 gave you good advice; if I understand correctly, you were trying to boot into Windows from your slaved laptop drive, correct? That won't work. What you need to do is connect the lap drive, but boot into your desktop Windows. IF the lap drive hasn't failed mechanically, Windows will assign it a letter in Explore. You should be able to access your data files and drag & drop them onto your desktop C:\ drive. Did you do that?

It assigns it a letter, but when I click on it to explore it. It says it has to be formatted before it can be used. I need to get the files off of it though.

#11 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

can you perform a chkdsk on the corrupted drive?

Also I know windows assigned it a drive letter, but try to assign it a new one yourself and see if it helps.

To assign a new letter for it in Disk Management: Right click "My Computer" > Manage > Disk Management > Right click your HDD > Change Drive Letter & Paths.

Edited by chrisd87, 01 November 2013 - 10:15 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,598 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

It says it has to be formatted before it can be used.

Many times that message is generated when Windows encounters a corrupted partition. I suggest using a virtual distro to access the drive independent of Windows. At this point that is really your only option left other than professional data retrieval which costs $$$.

I have used Reatogo or Knoppix (free) many times to pull data off a corrupted partition. If you are interested, go HERE and download the ISO of Reatogo; burn it to a CD, put your hard drive back in the laptop, set your BIOS to 1st Boot Device=CD and boot with it in the drive. Be patient! This takes a long time to load, at times you may think it has stalled but it hasn't. When it finally boots you will see the familiar Windows XP screen. Remember, this is running from your CD not your hard drive, so it is going to be a lot slower. When  you click, be patient, it takes a little longer to execute. Hopefully you will see your laptop hard drive designated, try to click on it and see if you can read your drive. Post back and let us know, if this one doesn't work there are others.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#13 Death1223

Death1223
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

It's showing two harddrives when I load the harddrive on my desktop now.

Here's a screenshot of the disk management:

http://puu.sh/55GDF.png

#14 Death1223

Death1223
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

Alright, Ranchhand_.

I did what you said, it could see the disk but it couldn't access it. It saw the first disk (The BDEDrive) but not the real second drive.

It told me to format the disk when I attempted to access it.

Edited by Death1223, 01 November 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#15 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

Read and try this:
http://www.reclaime.com/library/how-to-recover-raw-filesystem.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users