Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

x79 and vengence ram

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 grassy

grassy

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

Firstly i hope i have put this topic in the correct section on this forum, if not then please feel free mods to move it to the correct place thankyou. :)  Do anyone here know anything about the vengence ram not performing well on the x79 platform or has anyone had any problems with this ram on the x79 platform. I have been told on another forum that this ram does not sit well with x79. I have a rampage 4 extreme and have had the motherboard die on me but dont know if it was due to the vengence ram or not.I have been known to have image stuttering when gaming(no internet) but i tend to put that down to the video card set up and dont know if ram would cause that, but i could be wrong.Grassy

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

I had heard rumors of X79s having problems with some of the Vengeance RAM.  In looking around, I would say it is a bit more than rumor.

Now I don't know what series of Vengeance is causing problems.  I am sure Corsair uses more than one different type of memory chip on their sticks depending on speed, series and voltage.  Some specific types/brands of memory chips play better with certain chipsets.  With your setup and 4 RAM channels, the speediest/lowest latency stuff is overkill, well, maybe except for benchmarking.  If you want to troubleshoot it, relax timings and speeds and see if anything improves.

To the point, when I think of memory problems, I look at BSODs, lockups, no boots, missing memory, and failed memory tests as signs of a memory problem, not really game stutters.

Your symptoms could be caused by CPU/GPU throttling, some program hitting your CPU at odd times, some program trying to access hard drives/SSDs while the game is running, or glitches with the games themselves.  Just recently I installed the latest and greatest NVidia drivers for my 780, and I will swear I now have an intermittent stutter in Borderlands of all things. (Bought Borderlands a few years ago and never even installed it, but now I have to go through it).  With your system, SLI 690s, if there is a driver problem, your setup will sure as heck find it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

I had heard rumors of X79s having problems with some of the Vengeance RAM.  In looking around, I would say it is a bit more than rumor.

Now I don't know what series of Vengeance is causing problems.  I am sure Corsair uses more than one different type of memory chip on their sticks depending on speed, series and voltage.  Some specific types/brands of memory chips play better with certain chipsets.  With your setup and 4 RAM channels, the speediest/lowest latency stuff is overkill, well, maybe except for benchmarking.  If you want to troubleshoot it, relax timings and speeds and see if anything improves.

To the point, when I think of memory problems, I look at BSODs, lockups, no boots, missing memory, and failed memory tests as signs of a memory problem, not really game stutters.

Your symptoms could be caused by CPU/GPU throttling, some program hitting your CPU at odd times, some program trying to access hard drives/SSDs while the game is running, or glitches with the games themselves.  Just recently I installed the latest and greatest NVidia drivers for my 780, and I will swear I now have an intermittent stutter in Borderlands of all things. (Bought Borderlands a few years ago and never even installed it, but now I have to go through it).  With your system, SLI 690s, if there is a driver problem, your setup will sure as heck find it.

Yep i agree, i think most of my problem goes back to the drivers that being a scalling issue. There are so many possibilities it confuses me.I have always been weary of updating drivers that being said its quite possible that it could take me all day to get things to where they should be and working right. Bottom line is drivers are a big pain in the ass.I will change my ram to 16gb dominator platinium at 2133 which seems to be a sweet spot according to some members at the ROG forum.Like you said too many things could be happening when playing and a cpu throttling could be a cause. One thing i have learnt in the last week or so is that the cpu has to work well with the ram and and both have to be compatible with the motherboard and sometimes these companies dont always get it right.And that goes for me too.

Edited by grassy, 02 November 2013 - 08:46 PM.

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users