Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU running really hot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Libellule

Libellule

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

I'm pretty computer-stupid, so I'm sorry in advance. ):

CPU is Intel Core i7 2600

My cpu is running at close to 70 C right on start up after leaving it off for a long time, it then climbs to mid 90s and slows everything down or blue screens when I try to do pretty much anything.

I've reapplied thermal paste twice, after the last application, there's been a burning smell, not sure if it's a coincidence. The thermal paste is 2-3 years old, but I read that it was good for several years if you kept it in the fridge. Not sure if that's entirely true or how to tell if it's gone bad.

There were a couple of fans that had stopped working, so I bought new ones. The cooling that's directly on the cpu is what came with the computer and is just a little blue-green translucent box which I guess is this?

Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

Speccy says it's running at 6500-7000 rpm if that's relevant.

I'm super poor right now, so cost-considerate options if possible would be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 grassy

grassy

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

1 buy new thermal paste

2 check your heat sink connection

3 Make sure all fans are plugged in correctly

4 Check heat sink pressure on to the cpu

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

Your CPU is getting dangerously hot, but then you knew this !

Apart from the points that Grassy has made, if I read your OP correctly, you have a liquid cooler. Is it still full of coolant ?  I think there is a real possibility that it has leaked away. Can you top it up like you can the radiator header tank in a car ?  I think it is worth a look.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Libellule

Libellule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:58 PM

So I uh, had no knowledge of how liquid cooling works. And I guess I took off the wrong thing cause I kinda found out the hard way that it definitely had plenty of coolant. x: Aside from that and getting new paste, everything else was fine.

I think I might buy a new cooling thing for cpu 'cause I kinda don't wanna deal with the liquid. Any recommendations on a cost-effective one?

#5 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:30 AM

...last but not least...When did you last give your heatsink (the fan and "gadget that sits on top of your cpu) a DESCENT "AIR blow-out?"

Thats the very FIRST thing i'll do before going further :)

PS: if your cpu always ran cooler than NOW...and you DIDNT add on any other additional-peripherals (things that draw more power from the Power Supply), it's "suppose" to not need anything else...

IF you added a lot of "Gadgets" to the PC...i would recommend a higher wattage PSU as well....low/failing PSU = High Cpu Temp...

Edited by RobinHoodSnr, 01 November 2013 - 06:48 AM.

...We all know something...but we will NEVER know everything :grinner:

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users