Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2013 Computer Running Price Per Month!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Maxey243

Maxey243

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

Hello and thank you for reading this post.

My father is always moaning at me for being on my computer for the most of the day, he thinks I play games 24/7 when I am actually doing important college work. He always says to me "You're always on that computer, I want it to be turned off at 11:00pm. You don't pay the electric bill so I decide when it goes off!" I decided to take matters into my own hands, I'm going to pay the electric will for my room. 

Does anyone know (in £'s) how much it cost to run a computer and monitor in 2013 for 24 hours? I found that some people say it cost around 80p per 24 hours but, that was in 2006, I need the prices for 2013.

If someone could tell me an equation or something I can do to work this out then I would be very grateful!

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

You may find this to be of interest: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2404

However, you will have to convert USD to  £'s. And may have to equate any inflation or seasonality increases. But you should be able to arrive at a fairly accurate cost as there are several criteria used.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

However, you will have to convert USD to  £'s. And may have to equate any inflation or seasonality increases. But you should be able to arrive at a fairly accurate cost as there are several criteria used.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Except it's totally wrong.  Just because a power supply is rated at 300 watts does not mean it draws 300 watts.  It only means it is capable of providing that much power. 

The only way to really tell how much your system draws over a 24 hour period is to measure it.  Get yourself a watt-hour meter such as http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

Except it's totally wrong.  Just because a power supply is rated at 300 watts does not mean it draws 300 watts.  It only means it is capable of providing that much power. 

The only way to really tell how much your system draws over a 24 hour period is to measure it.  Get yourself a watt-hour meter such as http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

@ddeerrff

The OP suggested some response from members with regards to a possible equation. The link provided was to give the poster some info on some tools that perhaps may be of help. This was my intent.

However, I gather your intent is to criticize.

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

However, I gather your intent is to criticize.

Sorry if you took it that way.  My intent was to provide a suggestion as to how to get a real indication of power usage.   Assuming a device will continuously draw it's maximum designed power is a good way to overestimate power usage. 

Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Okay thank you for the links guys, I will defiantly look through them when I get home. I really do appreciate the help!

#7 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

As a once qualified but now retired electrician, the best answer is to measure using a watt hour meter as suggested by ddeerrff,

However, considering day to day use will vary, with maybe some time away from the computer on some days but not others, I would suggest a measured period of at least a week rather than just a twenty four hour period. The watt hour meter will give you a reasonable average figure overall in watt hours, you just need to match that up with the local electricity suppliers charges per Killowatt hour.

After that, I hope your father is responsive to you offering to pay for the electricity used. Oh and that at some time or other you get some sleep time in too, :devil:

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:23 PM

You can get an electrical meter (e.g. Kill-A-Watt) for your power outlet. If the power bill lists how many kilowatt hours the total bill is for you can determine your share by calculating the percent of the total bill that is for your outlet.

Edited by Andrew, 02 November 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#9 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

Thank you for everyone helping me with this topic! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users