Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power to battery not looking normal, battery loses charge FAST


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 knicklets

knicklets

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

I have a ASUS K701C-A1 computer.  When it is plugged in the battery icon on the lower right screen shows that it is in A/C mode but the charge light only goes up and down a few times then stops.  The light at the center front stays red even when battery does not appear to be charging by the light moving up and down.  It then says it is charge fully in a very very short period of time, meaning the little battery icon shows lit all the way to the top.  After we think it is fully charged we unplug it and begin using it.  It soon, 1/2 hour, says that there is only 7% of the battery left.  We bought a new battery and installed it today and it does that same thing.  not sure how to test what the problem is.

 

Got any ideas?  Power jack?  connection between power jack and battery? bad power cord?  How do I check these things?  Thanks



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 knicklets

knicklets
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

Power supply also gets very hot while plugged into the computer.



#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

  • Moderator
  • 7,008 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

It sounds like your battery is on its last legs. Try running it solely on the AC power supply - ie, take the battery out - and see if it still gets hot. If it definitely runs cooler without the battery in place this is another indicator that you battery is dying.

 

You can get replacements from ASUS, amazon or e-bay to name but three.

 

Chris Cosgrove


I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !


#4 knicklets

knicklets
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

Thank you Chris for responding.  IT is a brand new battery.  The old one did the same thing.  Kind of confused.  The old one had said to consider changing the battery so we thought that that was the problem but still the same thing with the new one.  Still researching and trying to see if we need something else since the computer runs fine without the battery and just the AC pwer cord.  Power cord still gets hot though.



#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

  • Moderator
  • 7,008 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

 

Power cord still gets hot though.

 

Power cords themselves should never get hot. The AC - DC converter block can get quite warm - safely - and the cables immediately in contact with it will get a little warm due to heat conduction, but anywhere along either cable more than a few inches away from the converter block should be at room temperature. If they are warm / hot anywhere along their length, the cable is faulty.

 

Two other possibilities remain. Your new battery could be faulty itself. And I have seen on the forums remarks to the effect that battery charge indicators on laptops can be in error. I have no personal experience of this, but I have seen it stated that you can reset the indicator through Windows control panel. Might be worth a check.

 

Chris Cosgrove


I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !


#6 knicklets

knicklets
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

OK, I have a bit more info but not tons.  It is not the powercord itself that is hot, it is indeed the ac-dc- converter block that is hot.  So good to know that is OK.  The battery literally will work on the computer for only about 50 minutes.  Its a new battery.  The one that said it needed replacing lasts even LESS time.  Could something INSIDE the computer be eating up the battery.  We can leave it on with no programs open and not even using it at all and in 50 minutes it will say the battery has 7% life left and that it is going to shut down.  The computer keeps working as long as we plug it in.  I let it run completely down and charged it completely with the computer off three times in a row just to see if it would give more life to the battery.  Nothing.



#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

  • Moderator
  • 7,008 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

This is beginning to sound like an AC-DC converter block problem.

 

First of all, is it the correct converter for this laptop ?  The converter should have it's output amperage and voltage printed on it (or perhaps ouptut Watts, which is equal to Amps x Volts). Do these match up with what's printed on the bottom of the laptop or battery as requirements ? And is the converter actually producing the rated voltage ?  You can check this with a multi-meter - borrow one if you haven't got one. Put one probe into the centre of the plug that goes into the computer and one on the outside, this will give you a measure of the volts it's producing. This will normally be a little higher than the voltage listed on the converter - if the output is, for example, rated at 18.5V, then I would expect to get anywhere between 19 and 20V doing this test. If you get less than the rated voltage, the converter is definitely faulty.

 

You seem to feel that the converter is hot as opposed to warm. As I said, they can get quite warm but they should never get to the 'Ouch !' hot level. If they do, this is an indication that they are working too hard and the unit is either failing or not the correct one for the laptop - the laptop is trying to draw more power out of it than the converter is rated to supply.

 

Check the ratings and the output voltage.

 

Chris Cosgrove


I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users