Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop won't boot, restarts before POST

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 stryke297

stryke297

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

After typing all this, I apologize for the depth of this post, but it's 3.5 days of troubleshooting.

Sunday night I was having issues with Raidcall and I restarted my computer(everyone has issues with the program, people can't hear or be heard, not even my first issue probably not relevant). Desktop froze at windows startup, restarted itself and froze again, I watched as it froze a couple times at BIOS, and then it went on past BIOS and froze a couple at the loading screen for whatever the Windows 8 startup repair is.  I unplugged the power cable and left it unplugged for a bit.  When I returned(at least an hour later) I plugged it back in to the same issue it would freeze before booting, I unplugged it again, popped out the CMOS battery and waited about ten minutes, same issue, I left it on overnight, it would get to the first seconds of the startup screen for the windows repair thing and then freeze there for about 10 minutes before restarting.  By Monday Morning it had just shut itself off and stopped rebooting, I pressed the power button, and it would not POST, but my motherboard has an LCD code display on it and I was getting two codes 15 and 19( I think) the codes for Northbridge and southbridge initialization.  Just trying to see what was going on I wiggled some things, I reseated cables and cards and tried booting up with NO RAM, I got the same two codes, and code 51 which is the code for a memory error(of course I removed it).  Inserted the RAM, no change.  Took out  CMOS battery my two hard drives, my disk drive, removed my three case fans, took out the GPU, took out the NIC, only leaving the motherboard, RAM, CPU,heat sink, and mouse and keyboard plugged in(I also unplugged everything on the case from the motherboard as the motherboard has a power and reset button on the motherboard) I reseated the 24-pin power cable, the SATA power cable(supposed to only be needed when I have PCI cards in which I didn't) and the 8 pin CPU cable.  I did not plug my monitor into my onboard gfx, I don't need to see it boot or post, because I can watch the codes on my LCD display, anyway I pressed the power button on the motherboard and the heatsink fan and the two on the psu spun up, two lights on the motherboard lit up, and then all the lights on the motherboard flash as the fans die and it turns off. Probably two or three seconds total, the motherboard power light turns back on, another two or three seconds pass and it tries to boot up again, this is cyclical with no change.  I've tried every hardware configuration possible just trying to get it to do anything other than what it does now which is: turn on for two or three seconds, no display, then it turns off for two or three seconds before it restarts.  I've tried putting everything in back when it would just freeze during start up,  I've tried resetting my BIOS and CMOS, I've gone as far as to take my motherboard out of the case and tried it on a cardboard box, even tried to just post on a cardboard box.  I even made a cardboard stand that only touches the motherboard at the corners where the motherboard rests on the screws and tried to POST.  I even reseated my CPU , going as far as to leaning my CPU and heatsink and reapplying the thermal paste.  which included me giving my cpu an alcohol bath, and I did similarly to the seat that the CPU sits on, I checked both for any sort of damage, I checked all capacitors, I checked all the little "pathways" on the motherboard for damage.  I used the paperclip trick on my psu, it starts up and stays started.  I know this doesn't mean my PSU is fine, just that it starts up. after all this i've tried every physical variation again to try to get any other outcome during bootup.  I spent all yesterday and up to now today doing the same.

my specs:

Power supply: Apevia 680W Iceberg

Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud3h

Processor: Intel i5 3570K

Memory: Corsair DDR3  It's a single 4gb stick of whatever their budget line is 

Graphics: EVGA GTX 550 TI

NIC: Dlink airplus G

Hard drive: Seagate 1TB, Hitachi 320GB

mouse: logitech mx518

keyboard: Saitek II

I'm thinking I've got two possibilities for what's going on here:

Possibility 1.  Computers mess up sometimes, whatever happened Sunday with it freezing while booting is a different issue, Once I started messing with things on Monday, I could have reset BIOS(which I did) to  before it was possible to boot directly to a graphics card(saying that I have to boot using onboard graphics and then update my bios before I can use my card)  However, the "K" line of processors have an option to disable graphics processing which leaves all graphics done by the card, I have this option on but resetting my CMOS and BIOS should turn that off, it's possible that it didn't and/or not having a monitor hooked up to my integrated graphics is causing this issue.(issue is unresolved if i try to boot using my gpu, which again might be because I reset the BIOS.

Possibility 2.  It's a hardware issue.  which comes down to PSU, mobo or CPU.  I've had the CPU and Mobo for a little more than a year, and they haven't been used very extensively for most of this.  The power supply is four or five years old, and to be honest, I had a fan fail on it a while back so I opened it up and did some "modding" I soldered a fan into the top of the power supply(blowing into the computer) then I added a fan pulling air from my computer, and I replaced the fan that goes on the part of the processor that plugs in.  The two fans that pull air from the computer are soldered into a molex connector and they then plug into a molex connector from the power supply.  It's sketchy but it "worked" for several years.  Like I said I've paperclip tested the power supply, but I know that doesn't mean much.  I have a digital multimeter, but I am unsure and therefore reluctant to start jamming metal that i'm holding into the end of into a power supply.  I've went and ordered another one anyway, but who knows when it will be here.

I have no way to test my cpu or motherboard.  They both look fine, they are much newer than the power supply, and Apevia isn't a very awesome brand anyway, not to mention that it's been tampered with.  I'm hoping that it's the power supply, from what I can tell failing and faulty PSU's can cause a wide array of sporadic issues, it's just odd the progression of issues/ this issue. 

Anway,  I've you've made it to here congrats on reading my novella.  I'm open to suggestion and comments.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

After POST start pressing F8, and try to enter Safe Mode if this is successful then there is an issue with something that is connected to your computer. If it is not, then it will let us know where the loading stops so we can determine what system file is giving you issues.

#3 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

No post.  Everything just spins or lights up for about two seconds, then there is a couple second pause before it tries again infinitely.

sunday night, before things got way worse, I could go into BIOS but upon leaving to attempt to boot to OS it would freeze, but the state stands now as^

Checking voltages on PSU right now.  Yellow wire on molex, 8-pin and 6 pin all read 12.01V, I'm told it's supposed to be between 12.35 and 12.4

red wire on molex reads 5.20v im told it's supposed to be "around" 5v.

24 pin reads:

Orange: 3.41   Red: 5.20     Yellow: 12.01  purple: 5.06      grey: 5.20   blue: 11.53       green: could not get a reliable number

Tried four different ground wires, one wire the number kept rising, two had no reading, and a fourth had no reading but my multimeter would beep at me after a couple seconds.

Edit:  I figured that anything more than .5v either way would be too much, but in another thread someone said that these voltages are fine, which I guess means that my PSU isn't faulty?

Edited by stryke297, 31 October 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#4 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Went today to do my daily quota of pluggin unplugging reseating, checking, looking, shaking, and screaming to see if I could fix whatever the problem has been and I realized I left my PSU plugged  in to the power cord and set to "I"/on but not hooked up to anything.  Anyway, I realized that the PSU was pretty warm from just essentially being plugged in where as everything else in the room was about 65 degrees, and it was the side away from the components on the PSU, so the components must have been hotter to make the air inside the PSU hot enough to heat the case.  Anyway I'm replacing it.  I checked the voltages for the motherboard components: VCORE, CPUVTT, VSA, CPU PLL, DDR VTT, VDIMM, PCHIO, but I couldn't find what those values were supposed to be so I didn't record the values

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

The values should be on the side of your power supply for each rail.

The values for the other stuff can be determined by looking up the devices online.

#6 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

Don't those components list values used in overclocking?  I can only find the values after people have overclocked, or people asking for values up to ten bins higher than what my ghz is set at.  anyway, using the same cpu with a motherboard similar to mine, setting these to "auto" in BIOS leaves a V core value from as low as 1.11 to as high as 1.30 (from what people have posted).  Not that it matters because I don't think this stuff helps me anyway when my computer won't even boot and only tries to start for a couple seconds which makes me trying to get these values during the couple seconds of my system having power but not booting more ridiculous.

Pretty sure I've done more than all I can do here until I can get my new PSU so I can troubleshoot hardware.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

The Values should be listed in the user manuals of the hardware components. Can you provide your CPU Model Number, and your RAM model numbers?

#8 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

i5 3570k,  I don't know the model of Ram i have a single 4gb stick of Corsair ddr3 it was pretty cheap ram.

Again, how helpful can these values be in  a troubleshooting scenario that should not pertain to clocking?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

If your PSU Is delivering poor power it will greatly impact the overall stability of your computer.

#10 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

So the values I posted earlier from my PSU, what's your opinion on those compared to what they should be?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

Here is your CPU Specs: http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/4th-gen-core-family-desktop-vol-1-datasheet.pdf go to page 98.

In general the power should be .5+/- the values listed on the side panel of the PSU.

#12 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

Got the new PSU, no change, still won't boot, just a flicker, but the power light is always on.

I'll RMA processor to intel, and mobo to Gigabyte.

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

I would RMA the processor before RMAing the motherboard, and have you cleared the CMOS on the motherboard?

#14 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

yessir.  

#15 stryke297

stryke297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

Turns out I didn't keep my box and original receipt, this is going to be difficult to RMA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users