Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removal of empty program from All Programs pop up listing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lagojardin

lagojardin

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

I have used Revo uninstaller which has removed successfully Google Earth from my Add/ Remove Programs lising in Control Panel. I then reran Revo uninstaller and removed all further links to Google Earth. I am now left with Google Earth showing when I click Start/ All Programs. When I further expand on Google Earth, I am presented with the following options. Google Earth - Start Google Earth in DirectX Mode - Start Google Earth in OpenGL Mode - Uninstall Google Earth. Opening the latter provides the message 'Are you sure you want to uninstall this product' followed by the option Yes - No. Clicking 'Yes' opens Windows installer with the message 'This action is only valid for products which are currently installed.' I have also downloaded and run Windows Installer Clean Up Uninstall on the advice of some forum on the net, but that had no effect. I'm running Windows XP, Service Pack III, and have a very clean system after running Malwarebytes, Rkill and all the other tools available via Bleeping Computer. My knowledge is rather limited, but I'm at my wits end with this problem which I'm sure can be easily resolved. Can anybody out there help me get rid of this unwanted Google Earth remnant, please, which I will NEVER download again! Thanks in anticipation of a speedy and simple solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

Using the Avast Removal Tool for removing stubborn hard to remove files................

•     Download aswclear.exe on your desktop
  •     http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe
  •     Start Windows in Safe Mode
  •     Open (execute) the uninstall utility( Vista Win 7 User's Need to Right Click and Run as Admin.)
  •     Locate the file or folder which you would like to remove/delete
  •     To Have avast delete the folder you can specify which folder needs deletion by hitting the search button from within the Avast Removal Utility. [...]
  •     Go to the C: Drive then Locate the Folder in program files.
  •     Left Click the Google Earth Folder
  •     Select OK
  •     Select Un install from within the avast removal tool
  •     Select Yes To the Prompt
  •     Allow confirmation of Deleted files.
  •     X out of the Avast Un install Utility
  •     Follow the Prompt To Reboot
  •     (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Search for any remnants that may be left on your computer. Download and install Everything Search from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/everything-desktop-search/  After it's installed, open it and let it populate the files on your system. Then type in Google Earth. If it finds anything simply click on the entry to highlight it, right click, and delete.

If anything is listed and you delete but still see it in All Programs

right click on the entry in the list and choose delete? UNINSTALL this product obviously will not work since you already uninstalled using Revo.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

The listing that you are referring to...is nothing but a compilation of shortcuts to programs which are installed.

Sometimes...when a program is uninstalled...the shortcuts may remain on the All Programs list...but, in truth, that program and program files no longer exist.  This has to do with the way that the program developer wrote the uninstall routine.

In such cases...I simply delete the shortcut (right-click, Delete) from the All Programs list.

'This action is only valid for products which are currently installed."  That's Windows saying "This program is not installed", therefore it cannot be uninstalled.

Louis

#5 lagojardin

lagojardin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

Using the Avast Removal Tool for removing stubborn hard to remove files................

•     Download aswclear.exe on your desktop
  •     http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe
  •     Start Windows in Safe Mode
  •     Open (execute) the uninstall utility( Vista Win 7 User's Need to Right Click and Run as Admin.)
  •     Locate the file or folder which you would like to remove/delete
  •     To Have avast delete the folder you can specify which folder needs deletion by hitting the search button from within the Avast Removal Utility. [...]
  •     Go to the C: Drive then Locate the Folder in program files.
  •     Left Click the Google Earth Folder
  •     Select OK
  •     Select Un install from within the avast removal tool
  •     Select Yes To the Prompt
  •     Allow confirmation of Deleted files.
  •     X out of the Avast Un install Utility
  •     Follow the Prompt To Reboot
  •     (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)

Thanks for this............I followed the instructions implicitly and was thrilled when the message said all programmes successfully removed. However, sadly, upon reboot, the entry remains! I have run a further couple of progs, an unlocker which said the files were not locked and File assassin by Malwarebytes, which stated the file does not exist or is not visible to file assassin. I show below a log of all remaining entries.:-

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Google Earth

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Google Earth\Google Earth.lnk

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\Google Earth.msi

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\client\google_earth.ico

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\plugin\google_earth.ico

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\GoogleEarth.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe.local

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\plugin\googleearth.exe.local

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth_free.dll

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\plugin\googleearth_free.dll

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Google Earth\Start Google Earth in DirectX mode.lnk

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Google Earth\Start Google Earth in OpenGL mode.lnk

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Google Earth\Uninstall Google Earth .lnk

Any further ideas would be welcome. I don't like to be beaten!

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

As suggested in the thread the tool everything may help here.:::::::::: Post number three have you tried that?

#7 lagojardin

lagojardin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:08 AM

Regrettably, I've tried everything suggested and more. I'm just going to have to live with it until I do a complete reinstall. I even tried to download Google Earth again to perhaps overwrite any corrupted files, but I was even unable to reinstall! Hey ho.........such is life! Thanks to all for trying to help. 

#8 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Open an elevated command prompt.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/

Copy and paste the entire content of the code box below and hit enter.

del /f /s /q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Google Earth"
del /f /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth"
del /f /s /q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Google Earth\Google Earth.lnk"
del /f /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\Google Earth.msi"
del /f /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\client\google_earth.ico"
del /f /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\plugin\google_earth.ico"
del /f /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\GoogleEarth.exe"
del /f /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe"
del /f /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe.local"
del /f /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\plugin\googleearth.exe.local"
del /f /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth_free.dll"
del /f /s /q "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\temp\._msige61\program files\Google\Google Earth\plugin\googleearth_free.dll"
del /f /s /q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Google Earth\Start Google Earth in DirectX mode.lnk"
del /f /s /q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Google Earth\Start Google Earth in OpenGL mode.lnk"
del /f /s /q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Google Earth\Uninstall Google Earth .lnk"

Reboot the machine and see if the files remain.

Edited by InadequateInfirmity, 02 November 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#9 lagojardin

lagojardin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

I copied one line of the command as suggested, and received the message'Access denied@ 

#10 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

Had exactly the same problem with Google Earth.  Don't know why simple deletion is not working for you.

As per Queen-Evie, install Everything; 

also install Unlocker; 

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unlocker.html    (just one link, although you may already have this)

Use Everything search for Google Earth

Right click on a file, Unlocker should appear in the menu, select it.

If the dialog box says, 'no locking handle found', it should give you a choice of dealing with the file, in the drop down box and you can select 'delete'.

------------------------------------
Out of interest, not suggesting you mess with the Registry, but it may be worth knowing if there is still a Google Earth entry in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall    , underneath all those numbered folders.
-----------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users