Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD every day on first boot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bommelding

Bommelding

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hello people,

For a few weeks, every time I first boot my computer for that day, it shows a BSOD during booting or just after logging in. After that I just restart my computer and it'll work fine for the rest of the day.

I've tried system restore, but that doesn't work and just shows a BSOD too.

Next time it happens, i'll take a picture of the BSOD and post it here. I'm unable to do that now because today's BSOD has already happened and I already restarted my computer without making a picture.

I was wondering whether it could have something to do with my RAM.

I'm running Windows Vista on an Acer Aspire M1641:

2m34d5c.jpg

PS: English is not my first language, so please forgive me for any mistakes :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hi

Usually this kind of blue screen issues are caused by a memory module which is failing when it is cold and works fine when it is warm. If there is more than one module in the system, try a memory isolation test. That is remove either one of the module and check whether the issue happens. Then repeat the test with the other module. If one of them is faulty, you will find the faulty one in this way.

#3 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

I'm sorry, I don't fully understand which memory modules you mean. Do you mean the RAM strips?

Edited by Bommelding, 31 October 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#4 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

I would suggest running Memtest 86+ to check your RAM. Memory should always be tested one module at a time, but I would use a diagnostic rather than swapping the modules out before startup to see if one gives you a BSOD. That's just a question of method, and I'm going to agree with Anshad on the cause of your problem; a very good call.

Edited by slgrieb, 31 October 2013 - 01:52 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#5 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Thank you :)

I can't find Administrative Tools in my control panel.. Maybe it's not available for Windows Vista Home Premium edition?

Do you maybe have a download link / tutorial about how to use Memtest 86+?

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Yes, i mean the RAM modules in your system. This kind of errors are less likely to be detected in Memtest86+ and that is why i didn't recommended it in the first place. You will find an excellent tutorial from the below link.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram-test-memtest86.html

I

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

Thank you :)

I can't find Administrative Tools in my control panel.. Maybe it's not available for Windows Vista Home Premium edition?

Do you maybe have a download link / tutorial about how to use Memtest 86+?

I think you read my unedited post, and I feel that it was misleading, and I did you a disservice by over-complicating the issue. Anshad almost certainly got it right with his diagnosis of a failing RAM module. 

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#8 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Indeed, I read your unedited post. I just read your edited post.

I'll try to run Memtest overnight and I'll post the results here. If it doesn't result in errors I'll try the method Anshad described in his first post.

I prefer doing the Memtest first to see if that is sufficient, because the other method will probably take several days :(

Edited by Bommelding, 31 October 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#9 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Generally, running any memory diagnostic overnight is good enough. Of all diagnostic software, I think that memory diagnostics are the least reliable. I've had many modules that passed diagnostics (including some that I paid a lot of cash for) that still didn't run correctly in Windows. But, I would hope that a diagnostic test would  point to a specific module that is failing. Most RAM vendors offer a lifetime warranty, and you might want to consider that option. Recently, memory prices have taken a high price hike, and so I think that makes a warranty replacement pretty attractive.

WIFFLEBALL!

#10 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

That's why I try the Memtest first, because if it works, it'd save me a lot of time :)

If I remember correctly, I've got some 1GB DDR2 RAM strips laying around here somewhere. I guess I can just use that, can't I?

#11 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:41 AM

Memtest resulted in 0 errors, so I removed one of my RAM strips.

After I removed one, my computer wouldn't boot anymore. So I opened it again and I guess I accidentally pulled my SATA-connector out while removing my RAM, because it wasn't plugged in anymore :s

After some struggle I managed to get my computer working again with just 1 of the RAM strips in it. I haven't had any BSOD since then. I'll keep the RAM out for a few more days, if I don't have any BSOD in those days I guess i'll buy a new strip.

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:00 AM

Hi

Test the system for a few more days and if everything works fine, buy a new RAM kit compatible to your system. Let us know your findings  :thumbup2: .

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 02 November 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#13 Bommelding

Bommelding
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:47 AM

I kept the RAM out for a week or so, and my computer never showed a BSOD during that time. However, it was very slow sometimes because of the lack of memory, of course.

So I decided to put the RAM in again, to give it 'a last chance' and to check whether it was the RAM slot or the RAM itself that was damaged. However, I've put it in yesterday morning and I haven't had any trouble since then :o

Could it be the RAM was just not properly attached to the RAM slot before, therefore giving a BSOD sometimes?

#14 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

Hi

Sometimes oxidation in the gold plated contacts of memory modules an cause rogue issues. At work, what i do is to use a rubber to clean the contacts (gently rub all the pins). This will clean dust and oxidation. Even though the RAM appears to wok now, i would recommend cleaning it.

Caution : Touch your fingers in an unpainted metal part of something big to discharge static electricity before touching any components inside a computer.

If the issue reappears, you should replace the module.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 10 November 2013 - 08:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users