Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Up From Photoshop Elements 1...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 reddrose

reddrose

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:29 PM

Hi all!

Well, after browing through pages of topic threads, I've become convinced that I was not going to find an answer for my question until I ask! (But I am very impatient, so forgive me if I'm wrong... :thumbsup:)

Anyway, I have had Photoshop Elements (first version) for many, many years, and while I'm thankful for the things it allows me to do, I'd like to move up. I've read many, many "Photoshop" tutorials on how to accomplish the things I want to do with my pictures, but been frustrated to find that you can't do them in Photoshop Elements!

So, I'd like to move up to a better (newer?) version....of what, I don't know. Help, anyone?

What I do know:

1. I want an Adobe photoshop product
2. I'm pretty sure I want do not want a newer 'Elements'.
3. I definatly can not afford hundreds and hundreds of dollars... :flowers:
4. I am confused by the different versions!
5. I'm hoping to go into Freelance photography, so I'm hoping to get a program that will aid me with this.

So, what do you think? I'm considering buying from Amazon- my mother has used them for years, and they offer many of the versions of Photoshop fairly cheap. Should I get PS 6? 7? CS? What's the difference, anyway? :trumpet: Sigh.

If it helps, I am running Windows XP...

Thanks for any and all help!

-RR
Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:01 PM

Photoshop 6 will do everything that you need. Versions after that just have more "toys" so to speak....more filters, file management etc (although the Photo filter in CS and CS 2 is nice!).

I'm a professional digital photographer, and I use PS everyday. I jump between PS 6 and CS. Both are nice and both do the job just fine and dandy. If you are going to get into digital editing, then I strongly recomend any version of Photoshop 6 or higher. There will be a learning curve, but you'll catch on quickly enough.

The downfall to PS is that it's sort of expensive. Then again, it is industry standard for photo editing. You might be able to get a "used" or "older" edition of PS cheaper some place. It's more of an investment than a shopping spree.

PS can also be used for web design/graphic design and just about everything else that's web/digital photo related. Hours of fun for the whole family!! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 reddrose

reddrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:54 PM

That's about what I was thinking. For some strange reason, when I checked Amazon.com for prices, PS7 was less expensive than PS6....I have no idea why, (any ideas?), but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth!

Thank you very much!

Any other input, advice, etc is warmly appreciated! :thumbsup:
Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.

#4 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 05:32 PM

I use photoshop everyday. I have had 6,7,elements and I now have CS (its great having a family member working with graphics company). I must say PS7 is the best in my opinion. One thing I noticed with elements is that it actually had most, if not all the features (that i use for anyways - graphics design) that PS6 or 7 had, its just that they were situated in different locations.

As steve said, PS is quite pricey, but if you're going to be using it often, then it is definately a good investment. :D

#5 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:49 PM

Hello,

I also use PS CS2, but I am still learning how to use it. It has all the bells and whistles, and there are tons of brushes, plugins and other extra's available for free. The one big issue with PS CS2 is the amount of RAM it takes to actually run it comfortably. If I remember correctly, it demands 50% of your RAM by default. And believe me, it uses it to.

I had 1gig of RAM, and it just wasn't enough, but 2gig's seems to have done the trick. Other than the fact that it tends to be a memory hog, I am pleased with PS CS2. One big thing to note as well; if you do any kind of work with images or pictures on the web, then PS CS2 may make life a bit easier.

When IE7 is launched, and the masses begin the transition from IE6, the use of PNG format is going to most likely be the standard and preferred format. IE6 does not currently handle .PNG transparency abilities properly , but that is changed in IE7.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users