Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locked Files with avg scan- pictures documents etc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 j-p-c

j-p-c

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

Hello,

Please help me figure out something.  My Motheris running vista 32 bit on a HP m7760 machine, Intel core 2 6400@ 213ghz, 2 gb.

I am visiting and she asked me to look at her computer.  I ran ad aware, spybot, malware bytes, spybot, and avg antivirus and a rootkit f-prot...no problems come up....however, there are so many locked files that come up that a av scan is completed very quickly...so many in fact that I feel there is a problem.....photos documents etc...

Should these file be locked from av scan?  i don't know the next step in which to procede.....

Will you help me?

Thanks

jpc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

"Object is locked skipped", "Error Opening - (File locked)", "Not tested", "Access Denied", "Some files could not be scanned", "Password Protected" or "Encrypted" notations in an anti-virus/anti-malware scan are not uncommon. Some files and services are locked by the operating system or running programs during use for protection, so scanners cannot access them. Other legitimate files, especially those used by security programs, may be obfuscated, encrypted or password protected in order to conceal itself so they do not allow access as a protective measure. When the scanner finds such an object, it makes a note and then just skips to the next one. That explains why it may show with such notations but no action taken in certain anti-virus or anti-malware log scan reports. These are normal when using many security scanning programs so there is seldom a need for concern.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users