Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External hard drive activates when using win 7 recycle bin?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 webe123

webe123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

OK this is NOT really a "problem" but more annoying than anything else.I was just wondering if this is supposed to work this way...and if not if there is a way to "fix" this?

When I have not been to my (32 bit) Win 7 Recycle bin in awhile, I usually click on it and HAVE TO WAIT while my Western Digital 3 TB External hard drive is activated (It also used to happen on my Western Digital 1 TB External hard drive as well)...this happens everytime and a re-format does NOT make this behavior go away...Is this supposed to happen?

Because it is VERY ANNOYING having to wait whle my external hard drive "wakes up" ...when all I am wanting to do is access the stupid recycle bin in win 7!

Anyone got a solution for this? Or is that what is supposed to happen?

I really do not know if this is caused by win 7...or by the western digital external hard drive itself....but I have been using this brand for awhile and I think it used to happen in XP also, though it was SO long ago I do not remember.

Edited by webe123, 31 October 2013 - 07:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Files deleted from a hard drive are stored in the drives recycle bin, even though it is not a visible folder.  By accessing the recycle bin while a drive is connected windows includes the files for that drive as well, by default.  If the drive is not connected it will not be included.  This is normal.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#3 webe123

webe123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

Yes but when I only have my internal hard drive connected, it does not have to "wake up" like the external one does.

When I only have my internal drive, it goes right to the recycle bin....there is no "waking up" from the internal drive...I guess because win 7 is installed there?

I guess I was hoping there was a way to fix this without having to unplug my USB external drive from my computer whenever I wanted to use the recycle bin.

Edited by webe123, 31 October 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

Do you use WD Drive Manager to manage the hard drive? I would look in there to see if there's a setting for turning off the external hard drive when not in use. If it's turned on, then I would disable it to see if that helps.

Also checkout WD Smartware as there should be a setting in there for sleep which can be turned off.

Edited by chrisd87, 31 October 2013 - 11:48 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#5 BKSeoul

BKSeoul

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

The internal drive unless you are idle is being actively accessed to run Windows and any other services/programs you are using.  This is why it is "on" when you go to the recycle bin and doesn't show a delay.  As said above, the external drives, regardless of brand, are designed to go to "sleep" to reduce power as well as save the drive usage time to maximize its "life" when not being readily accessed after a period of time.  So, short of disabling the feature on the drive, that's basically how it is with any drive that is mechanical (magnetic platters).  Just know if you disable the sleep mode, the drive may not last as long as it will always be "on" and running in that state.  An alternative is a SSD external drive now that SSDs are coming down in price, but they are still expensive depending on what size you are needing.

#6 webe123

webe123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the SSD External drive suggestion...I will look into that.

UPDATE: Well I looked at SSD drives and yeah they are very expensive...PLUS the absolute biggest one I could find on ebay was 800 GB  and it was over two thousand dollars!

I think i will just wait........in a few years these drives hopefully will be as cheap as the 3 TB Western Digital External hard drives you can buy now.

Edited by webe123, 31 October 2013 - 07:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users