Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 for business

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

Hey everyone just a note,

I am the only person in my office/building running Windows 8. This is because Windows 7 is a more preferred OS for office use.

However In the future Windows 8 will be used in the office more and I'm using it so when people encounter problems I will be there to jump in to help just as I can with Windows 7, Vista and XP.

I noticed Windows 8.1 was released, but as I'm running a business version of it I cannot download it from the store it is quite a pain but I have to download 8.1 free from Microsoft and burn the image onto a disk then re-install it on my work PC and get a new key under Windows 8.1. This seems like such a hassle instead of just installing it. (you have to make sure you have upgrade rights)

So encase any of you using business Windows 8 and are not sure why you cannot upgrade to 8.1 then here it is. Also if you have any advice then please don't hesitate to do so.

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

So are you running Windows 8 Pro at your place of employment, because as far as I know there is only Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro. Regular Windows 8 is for Home use, where as Windows 8 Pro is for professional use such as that in a place of employment.

There is also Windows 8 Enterprise, but that is for large corporations with volume license agreements.

#3 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

It is Windows 8 Pro, but you can purchase that outside of a place of employment. But to save confusion I called it Windows 8 Business.

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

It is Windows 8 Pro, but you can purchase that outside of a place of employment. But to save confusion I called it Windows 8 Business.

No, in order to save confusion, call it what it is.  Again there is only Windows 8 Home, Windows 8 Pro, and then there is Windows 8 Pro for Enterprise.  There is or has never been anything called Windows (x) Business.

Also to let you know, those of us that do this stuff for our day jobs, or as a side business, already knew about this, that Microsoft has pulled Windows 8.1 one day after they had put it up in the store.  It has nothing to do with where or how you use the product.  They have since fixed the problem and placed it back into the store, but you have to run Windows update, to get the update that allows you to download from the store Windows 8.1.

Now if you are on a Domain, you will not be able to do the update, if you have a policy pushed to your machine, that locks the ability out for downloading your own Windows updates.

Really if your business is using Windows 7 for day to day use, I would only use Windows 8 or 8.1 in a test lab environment, not for day to day use.  It still has a lot of problems with it, that a lot of us are having to resinstall the OS about every other week, or every other month, because it is still a not ready for prime time Operating System.

Edited by Greg62702, 01 November 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

I fully and wholeheartedly agree with you Greg.

#6 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:37 AM

There is or has never been anything called Windows (x) Business.

I have already pointed out that I am aware that there has never been anything called Windows Business. No need to bring it up again.

Also to let you know, those of us that do this stuff for our day jobs, or as a side business, already knew about this, that Microsoft has pulled Windows 8.1 one day after they had put it up in the store

I am and was fully aware of this and this is completely irrelevant to my post. 

Also the reasoning for me using Windows 8, please read this again.

However In the future Windows 8 will be used in the office more and I'm using it so when people encounter problems I will be there to jump in to help just as I can with Windows 7, Vista and XP.

My company is not an IT company but I'm part of an IT department of two people. Therefore a 'test lab' is not ideal.

Furthermore Windows 8 has been working perfectly fine doing the things I need it to do so your problems may be related to something else.

Although I'm still not keen on Windows 8 and Windows XP is the superior version of Windows in my opinion some of us have to move on eventually.

thanks,

Darktune

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users