Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Ram... Will It Work??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 builder4130

builder4130

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

Hello!!!

I have recently purchased a ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 motherboard, and my old ram does not work with this new ram because it is a diffrent pin number but anyhow i was wondering if somebody with a bit more knoledge about this topic could find out if 16gb of corsair dominator platinum would work with this motherboard. i want to get the 2133 kit. and i want to run them in 2 sticks so just 8x2

Please help thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

For reference, we can not tell you for sure. It is going to depend a lot on how strong the memory controller on your chip is. It will likely work. Worse case is you may have to run it slightly underclocked to get it stable, or you may get it to run without issue. 

Here is the list of DIMMs that are certified to run on your board. http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A85X%20Extreme6/?cat=Memory

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

I personally do not trust new products or webcams. This is why my desktop is 3 years old, and my laptops older than that. 

#3 SA Spurs1

SA Spurs1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

Go to www.crucial.com and they will tell you what RAM is compatible with your computer, and they guarantee their memory to work on your computer.

#4 builder4130

builder4130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

i really want to use the dominator platinums

#5 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:36 PM

Have you tried to install them yet? As I said above, they should work. The only thing you may have to worry about is they may not run at 2133 depending on how strong the memory controller is on your processor. Which processor are you using here? And as stated before (iirc) the board is not certified to run the Dominators, but that will not mean that they will not run. My board is not certified to run my Samsung RAM at stock, let alone at 2400MHz, but it does run them.

*just a note, it seems at least some FM2 processors are certified for 2133. The A10-6800k is, as seen here http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A10-Series%20A10-6800K.html. 

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.

I personally do not trust new products or webcams. This is why my desktop is 3 years old, and my laptops older than that. 

#6 builder4130

builder4130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

A6 640K

#7 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

According to this http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-A6-Series%20A6-6400K.html your CPU only supports up to 1866MHz RAM by default. This means that you will not be able to use the 2133MHz RAM without overclocking, which is not bad, but is not a guarantee. If you set it to 2133 in the BIOS with the settings the RAM is guaranteed for, then it should run fine, but if it does not, then set it to 1866MHz and it will likely run.

#8 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:45 AM

i really want to use the dominator platinums

You can, but they won't run at PC-2133 with the processor you have selected. Since the processor doesn't  support that RAM speed, you can't overclock the system to get the full performance level for the memory. You could either go with a CPU with support for higher speed memory, or just use PC-1866 RAM.

Edited by slgrieb, 09 November 2013 - 01:46 AM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#9 wolfeking

wolfeking

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

Sorry slgrieb, but have you ever assembled a computer? What you just said is not true. Memory, just like the CPU and GPU can be overclocked, and the memory controller will most often support speeds above what it is rated for. 

By what you just said, I guess I should buy an FM2 processor as my 2600k can't use my memory at 2133MHz, correct? Real nice to know since it does run that speed perfectly fine. Do a little research next time please. 

#10 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

builder4130, let's get back to the memory speed issue. There's no guarantee that the A6 6400K will support the Corsair memory you want to use. Wolfeking disagrees with me, but if you re-read his posts, you'll see that he has hedged his bets. My advice would be to take a conservative approach and buy memory that's certified for the CPU, or buy an A10 that's certified for PC-2133. I thinks that's only like a $65 jump in price. It's easy to overclock the core rate of any of the Black Box AMD's but that doesn't automatically translate into support for memory that exceeds the speed for which the CPU is certified. Basically, I think it's always better to use a configuration that you know will work, and then you can tweak it from there.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#11 builder4130

builder4130
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

im also upgrading my mobo and proccesor after christmas sometime the only reason i was woindering this is because I was just wondering if i would have any down time because the computer runs okay with the 4gb ram in it but im upgrading to the platinums i will be buying a asus maximus extreme iv and a intel 4770K, so thank you everyone for the help!!!!:)

#12 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:48 AM

builder4130, let's get back to the memory speed issue. There's no guarantee that the A6 6400K will support the Corsair memory you want to use. Wolfeking disagrees with me, but if you re-read his posts, you'll see that he has hedged his bets. My advice would be to take a conservative approach and buy memory that's certified for the CPU, or buy an A10 that's certified for PC-2133. I thinks that's only like a $65 jump in price. It's easy to overclock the core rate of any of the Black Box AMD's but that doesn't automatically translate into support for memory that exceeds the speed for which the CPU is certified. Basically, I think it's always better to use a configuration that you know will work, and then you can tweak it from there.

Wow, someones cocky. To give some clear insight here. Aside from speed and junk that seems to be the argument here. You will not notice much difference in your performance in your computer between the 2 speeds. Most people run computers with 1200 MHz Ram and notice no speed difference (even tho yes, there is a difference). Most likely you will want to run your Ram under clocked at, well how about start at 1600 MHz and slowly raise it up from there and see what your system will handle. It really all relies on your CPU but so far your setup will do fine with this. :) 

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users