Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New battery not holding charge

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swtechworks

swtechworks

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

I got a new battery for my computer 2 weeks ago.  It seems like it doesn't make a difference though as I still plug in the computer and if I unplug it, it just shuts off.  The battery indicator shows that it is charging and that the battery has whatever percentage of life it is at (right now 100%).  The indicator on the task bar doesn't show an X through the battery so I am assuming it is still good.  What would cause it to not be able to work on battery power?  It seems like it just doesn't work off battery power and I don't know what I need to fix/replace to make this happen.  Thanks for the help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

I got a new battery for my computer 2 weeks ago.  It seems like it doesn't make a difference though as I still plug in the computer and if I unplug it, it just shuts off.  The battery indicator shows that it is charging and that the battery has whatever percentage of life it is at (right now 100%).  The indicator on the task bar doesn't show an X through the battery so I am assuming it is still good.  What would cause it to not be able to work on battery power?  It seems like it just doesn't work off battery power and I don't know what I need to fix/replace to make this happen.  Thanks for the help!!!

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer swtechworks! Since you can run your computer from your AC adapter, you know that it works. So that leaves you with two possiblities: either your replacement battery is bad, or the circuitry on the motherboard that charges the battery is defective. I'd go ahead and request a battery replacement from the vendor, and if the new battery won't charge, you will need to choose between a new motherboard or a new laptop.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

If this is a fairly old computer you have a third option to those proposed by Sigrieb - throw the battery away and just run the computer off the AC charger. If it is new, or newish, then I would go Sigrieb's route.

A friend of mine has a laptop which was issued to him while he worked at a local company. He is now retired and the company has been out of business locally for about 7 years !  The battery is completely dead, but he still routinely uses it off the power cord. It just means he can't move around with it too much !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 swtechworks

swtechworks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for the info!! I assumed that there were not very many options, it is actually a clients computer that I am working on and he was told by the company he got the replacement battery from that there was an internal battery or something else that he could change that was the problem if the new battery was failing.  I told him that the only other battery would be the bios battery and that wouldn't effect it from running off the main battery.  I just wanted to confirm that there was not anything I was missing and that it was either the motherboard or the battery.  Thanks again for the information and help!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users