Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Access The Internet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bbme

bbme

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Hi.
Right now im unable to access the internet. My signal is excellant.im typing on my tablet via wifi. My service provider was out and all connections are fine.

The problem is there is no activity taking place between my modem and my desktop. I had no issues earlier today and was able to use my desktop. The problem occurred after i installed Firefox to install a security application. When i discovered the problem i uninstalled Firefox and the security app.

The technician who came out said it may be my network card.

Could it be something else? Would getting a new prossesor solve the problem?

I have Windows XP.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308007

#3 bbme

bbme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

That didnt work. It keeps saying my modem is off. But it isnt. There is no activity between my modem and my computer. But my modem works because im using my wifi.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

What your set up and modem?

Open Phone and Modem Options in Control Panel.

On the Modems tab, click the modem you want to test.

Click Properties, click Diagnostics, and then click Query Modem

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

On the report that your modem is off, but you know it's running ok because you can run wirelessly and I hope all of the lights are

functioning ok, consider the following:

I know you said "all connections are fine", but did you physically disconnect the ethernet cable connection from the network card and snap it back in; likewise from the modem port and snap it back in?

--- Consider doing so with the computer off

--- Make sure all of the modem lights are in order before starting the computer back up

Even though you uninstalled Firefox and the security app, if either one is a factor in your problem, there might be some leftover element that's still a factor which at this time can be determined

--- Since you didn't have any issues earlier in the day, try a system restore to yesterday when the computer ran ok

If that doesn't work, try Safe Mode with Networking

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

The technician who came out said it may be my network card.

Could it be something else? Would getting a new prossesor solve the problem?

What technician might you be referring to?

Why do you not accept her/his determination?

It could be...any number of things theoretically...but if I called a technician to troubleshoot a system issue and I was told that it was a defective/failing NIC...I think that I would try another NIC if I doubted the judgment of said technician

IMO...only that and nothing more...the CPU is likely to be the most long-lasting, non-defective component of any computer system.

Louis

#7 bbme

bbme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

@ LOUIS the technician who came out was just giving his opinion. His true ourpose for coming out was to see if somethong was wrong with my modem and those connections. He worked for my Internet service provider. @ Larry I will try what u suggested hopefully it will work. I also got a solution from my IT person at work. Thank u

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users