Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does my external hard drive run spontaneously?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

Hello everyone,

Say, I bought an external terabyte Toshiba hard drive about a week ago, and I am puzzled as to why it comes to life for no apparent reason.  I suppose this sounds dumb to you smart ppl in here, but I don't know much and it's my first external drive, ever.   I might be watching a video or reading a web page and suddenly the external drive comes to life without provocation. I'm just wondering what the heck that thing is doing, and if it isn't a sign that my paranoid self has some secret code in my system poking around my private bytes and sectors. I tried to Google this, but found nothing good.  Any feedback?

Neophyte

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

What do you mean "comes to life"?

Does it spin up? Lights come on and off?

#3 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

What do you mean "comes to life"?

Does it spin up? Lights come on and off?

Yeah, she lights up and starts spinning.  I can't think of any good reason why it should happen if I'm not accessing it, or using an app that might need to look for something. Doesn't make sense.

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

Well the computer polls the drive every so often to make sure its still connected and to make sure everything is still there, so the particular drive that you have may have some built in power save functionality that turns it off after so long a time of inactivity then when the computer polls it to make sure its there it thinks you are going to move something onto it.

That would be my best guess.

As long as it doesnt cut out in the middle of transfers I wouldnt worry about it.

#5 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

Well the computer polls the drive every so often to make sure its still connected and to make sure everything is still there, so the particular drive that you have may have some built in power save functionality that turns it off after so long a time of inactivity then when the computer polls it to make sure its there it thinks you are going to move something onto it.

That would be my best guess.

As long as it doesnt cut out in the middle of transfers I wouldnt worry about it.

That sounds plausible.  I'm too paranoid, I think, even though I don't have anything to hide.  I don't fully trust the technology,  it's too easy to take advantage unsophisticated users like myself.  I went back to covering my cam lens again.  There's just no way to know with absolute certainty what's going on inside that black box with a keyboard.

Thanks.

#6 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

if you are concerned with it you can try using a drive activity monitor gadget that shows uploaded and downloaded data in real time and when it comes on see if its anything more than just a tiny blip, that should tell you.

#7 ComputerNeophyte

ComputerNeophyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

if you are concerned with it you can try using a drive activity monitor gadget that shows uploaded and downloaded data in real time and when it comes on see if its anything more than just a tiny blip, that should tell you.

That sounds like something I would like.  I'll have to look into that. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users