Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Timedok

Timedok

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hello to the group!

Been working with computers before Bill Gates was a household name and Steve Jobs ever thought of Apple.  At the time I got into this Steve was “phone phreaking” selling his Blue Box and just basically your everyday criminal, cheating the phone company out of lots of money. Having said that; I met him years later while out there attending a seminar.  Nice guy.  Love their products and am an advocate of same.  Was saddened to see him pass.

Introduction and hook into this technology was witnessing a Kaypro computer hooking up to a BBS at Compaq computers via an acoustical modem.  As soon as the text started scrolling across the screen, I was hooked.

Sold lots of stuff to purchase my first real computer including taking a personal loan out from the bank.  Of course it was outdated by the time I got it home.  If you subscribe to the Law of accelerating returns (LOAR) as I do, you understand how technology is evolving.

While my primary focus these days is to provide Disaster Recovery plans for companies, frequently (more often than not) I end up doing ad-hoc work after I introduce them to the concept of (best practice) while doing the audit.

Half of my tenure in this field was spent as a hands-on guy and the last 15 years or so have been in some form of management of it.  While I prefer to keep my hands on the technology I realize that if I am doing my employees job, I am not doing mine….

I have witnessed the evolution of technology go from the typewriter and the secretarial pool, to tablets and executives communicating by typing their own letters.   “Al Gore” had not invented the internet yet, and modems were about 300 baud, if you had money, 1200!

Learning something every day is not only SOP, it is something that I look forward to. 

Look forward to being here.

-Best

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

Hello Timedok,

Welcome to BC!

My first computer was an IBM 486.

Best regards,

John

Edited by Nephilim1955, 30 October 2013 - 10:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users