Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook Spam, Strange Reboots, Little Evidence

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 malodourous

malodourous

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hi All,

I've been having middle-of-the-night system shutdowns/reboots/crashes for awhile but figured that was more-or-less normal with all the Lenovo bloat on my Thinkpad X201. Last weekend a friend told me I posted something on Facebook about how "I lost 15 lbs with Garcinia," so I've been in sleuth-mode ever since. Changed password and enabled two-factor authentication on Google and Facebook, disabled Firefox add-ons I wasn't sure about.

Last night I found that in Firefox Facebook wasn't working properly, it would display a notification but when I clicked the dropdown would just show the loading bar. Also, there are no comments showing on posts and I can't comment, share, etc. Works fine from Chrome.

Recently I've installed XMLbar CCTV Downloader, KMPlayer and this Chinese flvCD utility which after scanning with AntiByte and eset online appear to have been slightly malicious. Removed those elements detected. HijackThis didn't seem to find too much. I run Comodo Internet Security Premium. I am pretty sure I haven't clicked on any malicious links or been phished but I guess you never know.

I am a former IT guy so I have some experience though I am nowhere near up-to-date or expert so any advice appreciated. It's possible the PC has been compromised for some time as it used to be hibernating almost always so if it is part of a botnet, etc. it would've been pretty useless.

Any advice appreciated!

EDIT: Windows 7, BTW.

Edited by malodourous, 30 October 2013 - 08:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users