Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Virus' have corrupted Word, Excel, Adobe Files - Please Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 valeriemonson

valeriemonson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

Last Thursday I reeived an email from a 'Luis Shipley@linkedin', which said it was a resume.  As we are accepting resumes right now for a lineman position, I didn't think twice about opening it.  HUGE mistake!  From there I got all sorts of Trojan worms and viruses.  Our local computer fix-it guy got rid of the viruses, took off my Symantec protection that did not protect me, and installed Microsoft Security Essentials and Malware Bytes.  He could not, however, get my word, excel, and Adobe to work.  I also had another computer guru do a remote session, and he was unsuccessful.  He used FileHippo and installed Open Office to test files...all to no avail.  Our internet provider said there is no fix.  These files are all corrupted, and my backup is from last year.  Dumb, I know...I will now be backing up weekly.  Can anyone help me recover these files, or is it a lost cause?  I greatly appreciate any advice you can give, so I can finally heal my computer AND my weary mind, or heat up my scanner. Attaching a sample file.   I am just sick...help, please?Attached File  Memo - Uniform Allowance.doc   24.29KB   5 downloads

Moderator Edit: Moved from Windows 7 forum.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 30 October 2013 - 08:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 valeriemonson

valeriemonson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

Roger, thanks for your reply.  I'm not sure how to find the log of what viruses were removed from my computer.  Also not sure if they were ransomware or not, as I didn't see any message trying to solicit money for the key to uncorrupt the files.  Right now I'm trying a free trial of Excel Recovery from Stellar Phoenix, but it only scans one file at a time.  it's been almost an hour and it hasn't even scanned 1/4 of this small file...and I have no idea whether it will repair a file when (and if) it ever gets done scanning it.  Anyone have any ideas on a cure for this nightmare?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users