Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell xps studio 1647 laptop pressing random buttons

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 darlinho

darlinho

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

recently my  dell studio xps 1647 has been spazzing out. It presses random quickset buttons. It will press and turn off the wifi, raise the volume up and down, mute the volume or press the eject button.  I had liquid spilled on the laptop a few weeks ago. I took it in for repairs and the tech person said I just needed a new keyboard. New keyboard was installed and the problem started a week after I got the laptop back. I thought it might have been a software or virus issue so I ran combofix and adwcleaner. I even tried to uninstall and reinstall some of the drivers (did not know which ones to actually uninstalls so I just picked the ones that I thought were correct). This seemed to help for a little bit but after 3 or 4 days the issue would start again. 

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?   I want to see if I can fix it myself. I already shelled out $130 just to have the keyboard replaced. Do not want to spend anymore money on this laptop.  There is always something wrong with it.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Hi,

Quick question, Your model has Quickset buttons? usually Quickset is a application You install when loading Windows. What happens if You disable Quikset temporarily?

I'm not recollecting the layout of Your Dell.

The service manual is here

If the quickset buttons are separate as I seem to recall, they may have been damaged too. If not is there a possibility more liquid has been spilled into the keyboard?

Some trouble shooting You could do. Using the service manual and being very careful as the connectors are delicate unhook the Keyboard and test using a USB keyboard.

Any chance You can take it back to the Technician and ask why this is happening when they said only the keyboard was defective.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 30 October 2013 - 08:31 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Hello darlinho,

Here's what one can expect to pay for a replacement keyboard for your Laptop. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Keyboards-Mice-Pointing-/3676/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=dell+xps+studio+1647

Here's a video which shows how to replace the keyboard. As you can see here in this video, the keyboard bolts to the underside of the palm rest panel. There is absolutely no protection from liquid traveling down pass the edges of the keyboard onto the motherboard.  As you can see in this video, most of the cost of what you where charged was labor. The entire process is actually much faster using a battery powered screwdriver. A skilled tech should complete this task in less than 20 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=burTploIM2U

The repair tech should of tested all functions before returning it to you.

Hope this helps,

John

Edited by Nephilim1955, 31 October 2013 - 01:28 AM.

#4 darlinho

darlinho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

Yes the quickset is an application. I meant to say the buttons for the  volume, wifi , play, rewind, and eject on the top of laptop above the keyboard. 

I live in new jersey and the tech store that fixed it is in New York.  I was there for a few weeks so I had them fixed it while I was in NY. I don't want to go all the up there to drop it off.

I guess I can shell out the cash again and have someone closer by take a look at it. I was hoping this was something I could fix myself. I tried to unscrew the back to take a look myself but the two of the screws are really tight and none of the screwdrivers I use seem to work (although I can take off the other 5 or so screws).

I do not think the lady  at the store tested it before giving it back to me.

Is there anything else i can do on my own or will i have to take it to a tech store?

P.S. i was ripped off i guess cuz she told me the keyboard was $70 and that the labor would be $60.

Edited by darlinho, 30 October 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

I hate to say this but that is about what the prices I have seen in NJ run.

Lets think about it. The shop needs to spend time ordering the $20 keyboard, add that cost to the $20 to get their real cost. Then Apply profit markup.

Then I've seen hourly rates of $80 to over $100 an hour for labor or elsewhere I saw a flat rate of $99 for labor.

If You had been able to order a keyboard, wait for the free shipping delivery or else pay a upcharge for faster delivery, Open the laptop Yourself and install it, Yes it would have been cheaper.

Look at some car repairs. $10 part, $300 labor. It is what it is. If I had been able to put that $10 part in my self, But I wasn't able to do that.

Did You look at the Service Manual I linked in post #2?

It really isn't that hard to do. You could try unhooking those buttons and see if that fixes the problem. If so then You know what part You need to order. You need to decide do I even need those buttons or can I get along without them?

I'm waiting for a keyboard for My Toshiba to arrive Friday and the ballasts for a Lighting fixture to arrive Thursday. I took the cheaper free shipping option.

I just looked at the service manual again. Yours is one of the easier ones. I think I've done repairs on a couple of that model. It wasn't keyboard, It was something else.

For the future to prevent more spills. I use something like this cup for beverages

2127322.jpg

around the computer.  Not this cup of course, I picked it as an example.

Note the wide base helps keep it stable compared to cups from Your fast food places or regular coffee cups.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 30 October 2013 - 01:14 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

FYI, although it is not a fix, I have had problems with Dell XPS keyboards and Quickset buttons on the top flaking out.  Most times it pushes the key multiple times on one stroke, but with the quicksets it always started to act randomly (although in my case adware, spyware, and anti-virus removal was not helping). I always had to replace the strip or keyboard.....out of pocket when warranty was completed.  And then the problem would occur again after about six months.

I love Dell...and the newer XPS models seem to have resolved that problem, but just thought I would let you know what happened to me.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#7 darlinho

darlinho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

i cant stand these xp 1640's it has given me a more headaches than i could have asked for. especially for the price i paid.

I would fix it myself if i could open the back but the last person who worked on it made two of the screws super tight. i can't even unscrew them. i think i might need an electric one. where i can get this? went to home depot yesterday and all the had was the  hand ones.

lol good advice on the beverage holder. My roommates girlfriend spilled alcohol on it. did not know until i got back home but that's another story.

So you think it is definitely an internal issue.  what do you recommend i do? take it to a tech store?

Edited by darlinho, 30 October 2013 - 01:16 PM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

I never used a electric Screwdriver on laptops. They are to delicate. I did use them on Desktops, even then it was a fancy one that adjustable torque settings.

What You have to be careful of is not stripping the head of the screw with the screwdriver.

Just to be sure when You say the Back, Do You mean the bottom that it sits on when open?

If You decide to take it somewhere, Have them order the part first so When You take it in it doesn't sit waiting for the part. When You say take it to a Tech store, I hope You mean a computer repair store and not a big store that has a computer repair section.

Roger

P.S. One chain I know of they send laptop repairs out, very Slow return.

Edited by rotor123, 30 October 2013 - 01:21 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#9 darlinho

darlinho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

yeah I mean a computer place. I tried a chain place way back and it had a 3 week turnaround. When I say back I mean the screws in the back. there are two near where the battery is docked . Those two are screwed on very tight. I can't get them off. I think maybe the head of the screw is stripping. The grooves are not as defined as in the other screws which I can unscrew with ease.

#10 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

Alcohol and carbonation are two of the worst parts of liquids that can hurt the computer. I would recommend replacing the part.  If you are not comfortable doing this yourself bring it to a computer repair store. Do NOT use large chains like Geek Squad by Best Buy, or Wal Mart's computer desk or anything of that nature, they outsource, are slow, and not knowledgable in computer repair (most "techs" are just trained by the person they work with who may be "good at fixing computer" but have no education on how and why each component works, meaning they cannot properly troubleshoot an issue). Make sure that they look at the computer THOUROUGHLY (spelling?) and order the part, while you take your computer home with you.  When the part comes in they replace it right there...not an overnight job. This will help keep them honest and possibly reduce your fee's. 

If the computer keeps acting up after the repair is completed I would say replace it (based on my past experience from Dell, they are great but they do have their flops)

However...if you are comfortable doing the repairs yourself, you can save money. And on a personal note, it allows you to get to know your computer, see how "she" works, what makes "her" tick. Kind of like a geeks best girlfriend (dont tell my wife I said that!)

As for the screws...a lot of the ones used on the OUTSIDE SHELL are redundant. Although not recommended, if you carefully remove the problem screws and move the other ones around (if they fit) to ensure the case is locked down tight, you should be good. Having a jewelers kit or a small handheld (VERY LOW POWER) electric screwdriver (found in some computer repair kits sold for about $30, on the low end) should help.  It may be cross threaded, may have the "blue glue" that i loving refer to as "blue glue" (yes...sarcasm intended) that acts like a thread lock, or it may just be cranked down too tight.

Lastly...do not let your friends girlfriend near your computer again.  Or better yet, dont let your friend near it.  Or any friend. Or alcohol and sodas (no matter how much it swears that it is your friend).

Edit: Added part about the screws

Edited by wing987, 30 October 2013 - 01:41 PM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#11 darlinho

darlinho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

thanks for the information. lol I have already banished her from touching any of my stuff again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users