Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random freezes/lockups even with some new hardware.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 informerman

informerman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:08 AM

Hello, I come seeking advice on what may be my problem.
if this is posted in the wrong forum, a mod is more than welcome to move it accordingly, I do not know what causes the problem, only that it is most likely some hardware.
I will start by explaining the problem, which begun a while ago.

A few weeks ago, I started experienceing random freezes/lockups on my homebuilt PC, it had been working fine for over a year and out of the blue it just starts freezing on me randomly while in windows, not even while doing anything in particular, just while browing the web or listening to music and even when just idling.

After I tried to resolve the issue myself (to no avail I might add) by running memtest86+ for 24 hours (7 whole passes on 16GB of RAM) and it showed no errors, replacing my SSD with a new one thinking it was to blame, replacing my CPU cooler with a new one (noticed my CPU ran a bit on the hot side while idle), and of course reinstalling windows entirely. None of these steps helped, so I accepted defeat and turned my PC in to my local repair shop. After a few days I get a call from the shop saying that he managed to solve the issue by removing both my graphics card and my SATA HDD, and that it ran fine withut them for 27 hours straight with no freezes.

Knowing I still had warranty left on both my HDD and my graphics card, I contacted my place of purchase and requested an RMA for both.
After a few days of back and forth I was cleared to recieve a full refund for my graphics card, which would be more than enough to buy a new graphics card, a new PSU and a new PC case, which I did.

Now as I am writing this on my "new" PC (same PC, new components.) I just experienced another freeze/lockup! Windows event log shows nothing of significance (what I can tell), I also have "Who Crashed" installed and it doesn't give me any logs of what happened either. I am not overclocking anything at all, everything is running on stock levels. What baffles me most about this problem is why it just seemingly out of the blue starts happening after working fine for over a year? The only thing I can think of that I changed before it all started happening was a setting in bios to enable me to start my PC by using a keyboard command (a setting that did not work because my keyboard is a USB one, and thus I restored that setting to its default value afterwards).

I tried updating the chipset drivers now, but it said my version was up to date, also my SSD had the latest firmware installed (R211).
No other hardware connected currently, my optical drive was damaged so that is not connected, and I am still waiting for RMA on my HDD so that is not connected either.

I am at my wits end about this, and do not know what to do, or what could be wrong.
My hardware currently is as follows:
PSU: XFX XXX Pro series 850W
GPU: Sapphire R9 280x 3GB OC Dual-X
CPU: Intel i5 3550 3,3 GHz
RAM: Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz/CL9/VENGEANCE & 8GB of the same memory type except a higher clock frequency I believe, total 16GB RAM.
MOBO: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev 1.3
SSD: SanDisk SSD Extreme 120 GB
SATA III, Sandforce SF-2200
Running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit, latest stable bios version installed (F12 I believe).
Any help or recommendations what to do next are very welcome, the only thing I can think of that is left is the motherboard being the culprit?
Please excuse my somewhat broken english, it is not my first language.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

Hi, I'm going to suggest that You run the Sandisk Toolkit

SanDisk SSD Toolkit support information

The SSD Toolkit helps SanDisk SSD users maintain peak performance of their SanDisk SSD(s) under various Windows® operating systems with an easy-to-use graphical user interface. The SSD Toolkit includes tools for analysis of the drive (including drive model, capacity, firmware version, and SMART attributes) and firmware updates.

Also if You have a spare hard drive? Try running Windows off of the spare drive with the SSD disconnected. To be honest I'm not a fan of the Sandforce controller.

I am a fan of SSD drives using Older Intel and Samsung SSDs.  I have no problems, I bought those two brands based on reliability research at the Time.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Hi Again. Before I forget. I hope You are running the SSD on a Intel SATA controller connection. If not see if switching it makes any difference. There have been funny problems using SATA controllers from other makers.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#4 informerman

informerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Hi, I ran the SSD toolkit, but I am not sure what it's supposed to do? It shows me healt status on the drive as 100, and that it has the latest firmware installed.

I have my old SATA drive laying around that the shop told me was broken, should I try using that instead of the SSD as my main drive?

Also, how  do I know if my SATA controllers are Intel?

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Hi, You have a Mix of Intel and Non Intel SATA ports.

From the Motherboard Manual here

From page 83. (For example, on this motherboard, the SATA3_0, SATA3_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4 and eSATA ports are supported

by the Z68 Chipset.)

Page 7 shows the port locations.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#6 informerman

informerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:09 PM

Okay after a few hours of reinstalling windows to my SATA HDD, I just experienced another lockup on the system, the drive is connected to the intel SATA port on the motherboard and my SSD is disconnected.

Any other suggestions? Thank you for your help so far!

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Try these steps one at a time. These steps should help pin down the problem.

Is the BIOS up to date on the Motherboard?

Unhook all drives but the Boot Drive including USB and any SD card Adapters.

Try removing one brand of memory and only run the one matched pair.

Try using the built-in Video

If You have any Overclocking going on either CPU, GPU or memory remove that.

You might as well hook up the SSD since that seems to be eliminated.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 31 October 2013 - 09:59 AM.
Additional content

167 @ June 2015

#8 informerman

informerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Hello again, I have been away for a few days so I have not been able to post an answer.

My BIOS is up to date, except for a beta version that is available, should I try to install that one and see if it helps?

I have only used the boot device, nothing else was hooked up, but the issue still remains.

No overclocking what so ever, not on the CPU or GPU.

Tried running with only matched RAM pair, no difference.

Will try using only the onboard video, but the graphics card is brand new, so I don't see why that would be the issue.

Will post later when I try the onboard video.

Thank you!

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

The reason for the suggestion is that despite the card being new..............

Even New can be defective. I've bought new stuff that was broken.

It eliminates the Video card drivers.

If Everything has been tested by substitution including a new copy of windows except the motherboard..................

Talk to the Motherboard Tech support, Maybe there is some setting that needs changing from the default settings.

Good Luck, This type of problem is a tough one.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 informerman

informerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

Update:

The issue seemes to be resolved (knock on wood).

What I have done is the following: Removed the 2 sticks of RAM that were 1860 MHz as opposed to my other 1600MHz ones.

Also I removed the Harddrive I used for storage.

So what I have hooked up currently is as follows:

CPU (Duh)

SSD

8GB of RAM (1600 MHz)

Graphics Card

PSU

So, no optical drive and no Harddrive.

This seems to have solved my problem and from this ordeal I have a new motto regarding technology:

If it works, dont F with it.

I have RMA'd the harddrive to WD and waiting for a replacement so currently I have no storage device, hopefully when I recieve my new drive it will not cause the same problem.

If it does I think I will give up and buy a new motheboard.

Thank you for all your help! It was greatly appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users