Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC will not switch on - Green light on M' Board

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:31 AM

Was working on my pc this morning for about an hour. Literally turned it off and went to switch it back on 20 mins later and....nothing!! Changed power leads and no change. Opened case and the green light is still on the motherboard. Would this be a psu issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ndonaldson2912

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

Check for loose connections (pull out ALL cables...and re-insert) would be my first step...maby your hand touched something that might have moved something out of place...

...We all know something...but we will NEVER know everything :grinner:

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

#3 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:28 AM

Hello ndonaldson,

After you press the power button, do you hear any beep sounds? If so, how many beeps do you hear?

If there are no beeps, do you see the fans start up. Do you hear the Hard drive spin up? 

John

#4 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hi John,

Whenever I press the button nothing happens at all. No fans spin or no beeps :-(

#5 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

did you pull out ALL the cables? Also, remove and reinsert your memory. If you have ANY additional adaptor (pci or whatever), remove and re-insert...You can also pull out your graphics card (if you have one) and use onboard as a test...Main thing is EVERYTHING must be re-seated...even your PSU power cables ( dont forget about the 4-pin one close to the cpu...)

Edited by RobinHoodSnr, 30 October 2013 - 09:13 AM.

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

#6 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

I haven't tried reinserting anything yet. Will try when I get home. The machine wasn't even moved an inch when it was shut down. Could it be a case that something had shorted?
I haven't tried reinserting anything yet. Will try when I get home. The machine wasn't even moved an inch when it was shut down. Could it be a case that something had shorted?

#7 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

...unless you had some electricity "spike" or something, i doubt it...10 to 1 its a small problem :)

Once i had a case (still cant figure it out) where the guy had a similar problem than yours. All we did was pull out the Electricity (power) cord...and plugged it back in...and WALLA...everything worked....weird but true...

Edited by RobinHoodSnr, 30 October 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#8 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Will try reattaching everything tonight, will post my findings later. Thanks for your help
Will try reattaching everything tonight, will post my findings later. Thanks for your help

#9 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:49 AM

...shall keep "thumbs up" for you this side ;)

#10 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

If by reseating everything does not work. I would next test the power supply. Here's a great tutorial for addressing this procedure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/301799-psu-test-dc-output-voltage.html

John

Edited by Nephilim1955, 30 October 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#11 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Hi all, problem has been resolved. Changed power supply and all is working again, apart from the power button led. Nothing would happen when it was plugged into motherboard so possibly this shorted something? Anyway, machine is going like a trooper once again, thanks for all your help guys

Norm

#12 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hello ndonaldson,

Glad to hear your PC is running again.

Regards,

John

Edited by Nephilim1955, 31 October 2013 - 01:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users