Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD while torrenting due to NETIO.SYS

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Marth_01

Marth_01

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

Hello again everyone,

My system specs:

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
MOBO - Gigabyte P55-UD4P (rev1)
CPU - Intel i7-860
GPU - Nvidia GTX 480
RAM - G.Skill 4x4gb
PSU - Corsair 650TX
SSD - Samsung 840
ODD - Sony 24X DVD R/W
AV - Microsoft Security Essentials

My last topic was one about a computer freeze from loading pages in google chrome which was actually caused by an audio driver!
Now I'm getting BSODs while torrenting.  At least BSODs create a dump file compared to freezes!

Dump File         : 103013-17128-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 10/30/2013 12:33:14 AM
Bug Check String  : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code    : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1       : 00000000`00000028
Parameter 2       : 00000000`00000002
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : fffff880`017886fd
Caused By Driver  : NETIO.SYS
Caused By Address : NETIO.SYS+106fd
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\103013-17128-01.dmp

So... NETIO.SYS, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and error code 0xd1
The BSOD occurs randomly while torrenting.  It could be anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour.

Things I've tried with no luck:

• Updated LAN driver from motherboard manufacturer's website
  • Switching from latest version of uTorrent to latest version of BitTorrent
  • Scanned system for viruses

Any other guesses?

Edited by Marth_01, 30 October 2013 - 04:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

Hi

Please follow the below steps to collect some log files.

:step1: Upload the crash dump files.

You can find the crash dump files inside C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Copy all the files located in that folder and zip them to a single file. Disable the "User Account Control" if you encounter a permission error. We need at least a minimum of three dumps to find a pattern. Attach the zipped dump with the next reply. If the file size is larger than 512KB, upload the zipped dumps to a free file hosting site and post the download link to it.

Example file hosting sites :

:step2: A Speccy snapshot.

"Speccy" is a free tool which is used to create a report about your system. It will list the make and model of hardware components as well as installed Windows updates, HDD SMART status etc. Please read instructions from the below link and post the web link created by "Speccy" in next reply.

:step3: Minitoolbox report.

"Minitoolbox" can list all the installed programs as well as event log errors in your system. Download "Minitoolbox" from the below link.

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

-List last 10 Event viewer errors
   -List installed programs
   -List devices
   -List users, partition and memory size

Now click "Go" and post the output in next reply.

#3 Marth_01

Marth_01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

1. Three Minidumps - http://www.mediafire.com/download/vsgncv2wa1nnanu/Minidumps.zip

2. Speccy Snapshot - https://www.mediafire.com/view/wwij9h0imuqxdm0/Speccy.txt

3. Minitoolbox Report - https://www.mediafire.com/view/v3r6wlo4cb3ywt6/Minitoolbox.txt

Edited by Marth_01, 30 October 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

Hi

BSOD which blames NETIO.SYS could be caused by either one of the below reasons.

• Third party firewall program messing with the network driver.
  • Network monitoring programs.
  • Outdated network card driver. 
  • Download manager programs.
  • Clash between IPv4 and IPv6 caused by Microsoft "Teredo tunneling adapter".

In your case, there is no third party firewall programs are present but a network monitoring software is seems to be installed. Also the Ethernet driver is outdated.  Please follow the below steps.

:step1: Update LAN driver.

Current version of Realtek Ethernet driver seems to be old.

Rt64win7.sys                Tue Sep 27 20:20:33 2011 (4E81E2B9)
Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC 

Please uninstall current version of driver from Control Panel --> Programs and update to the the latest version from the below link.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

What you need to download is the Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program version 7.075.

:step2: Uninstall Networx.

"Networx" is a known BSOD causing program especially when torrent clients are present. Please uninstall it completely from the system at least as a test.

Report your findings with the next reply. If the issue continues, please upload the latest dump which reflects the changes. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 31 October 2013 - 02:45 AM.

#5 Marth_01

Marth_01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Thanks a bunch.  Just updated the ethernet driver.  I've been using Networkx, a program to monitor upload/download usage.  Come to think of it - I had no blue screens before I installed the program and have always had it on during torrenting.  This is most likely the issue.  I'm going to test torrenting (legal files as always) just for yucks, and if I get another BSOD I'll try turning off / uninstalling the program.  I'll report back if I find the solution or if I still have the bsods.

EDIT 1 - BSOD after updating ethernet driver. Now attempting with Networkx not running but still installed.

EDIT 2 - Program turned off. No BSODs thus far. I am silly for not having thought of this earlier.

Edited by Marth_01, 31 October 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:33 PM

Hi

Turning off won't remove it's kernel mode driver. Please uninstall it at least as a a test.

#7 Marth_01

Marth_01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

Ah.  You must be right; I got another BSOD.  I have uninstalled the program.  Let's see if I get anymore...

Thanks for the help.  Are you paid to help people on these forums or do you just like it?

EDIT: Ahh bleep. Still getting BSODs. Same error codes. Program uninstalled.

EDIT 2: Latest dmp file http://www.mediafire.com/download/q1xtaehn75iub7q/110113-14227-01.dmp

Edited by Marth_01, 01 November 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:40 AM

Hi

"Networx" is still present on your system. It's kernel mode driver can be seen in the list of loaded modules of latest crash dump.

networx.sys                 Thu Sep 12 18:55:13 2013 (5231C0B9)
NetWorx

Please uninstall "Networx" completely from "Control Panel --> Programs and features".  Without uninstalling it, we will never know whether it is the root cause.

BTW, everyone here is helping others voluntarily. We don't expect monitory benefits  :) .  

#9 Marth_01

Marth_01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

No more BSODs since uninstall.  How'd you know that networx causes bsods btw?  Just googling random things in the list of running processes?

#10 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hi

How'd you know that networx causes bsods btw?

As you already know, "Networx" is a network monitoring program and it uses a kernel mode driver to monitor network traffic. If a crash dump blames a core Windows file instead of a third party driver, what we should do is to find a pattern in the crashes. In your case, BSOD only happens when torrent clients are downloading. So we got our pattern. Next logical step is to find all third party drivers  which interacts with the network related system files of Windows. Common examples are firewall programs, Internet security suit etc. Once the third party drivers are found, begin eliminating them one by one to find the real culprit. In your case, only "Networx" is using a network filter driver so we uninstalled it as a test.

#11 Hildas

Hildas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hello,

I did as told. after step one I had another BSOD. Now i hope i will not get another one

Edited by Hildas, 25 November 2013 - 02:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users