Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Old Windows 8 Backup Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dypsis

Dypsis

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

Hi.

I have recently upgraded to Windows 8.1, and I noticed that there is a Windows.old folder on one of my computers in the system root that has a few GB of data.

Strangely enough on the first computer that I upgraded, this folder is not there.

Can I simply delete that folder when I am confident that things are going OK?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daglesj

daglesj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

I have on the three I've upgraded so far. Best to do it from the Disk Tools/Cleanup option as you get less resistance that way.

#3 KUPOkinz

KUPOkinz

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

This should only happen if you've done an upgrade. If you are wanting nothing from your last OS (files, pictures, music, etc.) then yes, feel free to delete it. However I could be wrong but I believe .Old folder is nothing more than useless files from your upgrade. I always suggest a clean install when switching OS's. 

I always delete the .Old file whenever I see someone doing an upgrade. Music and pictures can always be retained and are best moved to a USB thumbdrive before putting an ugrade in store. 

And like the other person said, use your basic clean up system that came with your OS. It should be Disk Cleanup. Delete shadow copies and useless files and it should remove the .Old folder without hassle. 

#4 drobtoy

drobtoy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Dypsis

Right-click your hard drive in File Explorer and choose Properties, Disk Cleanup and Clean up system files. Select Previous Windows Installations, OK, Delete Files. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users