Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replace pre-loaded security suite?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

Newly purchased laptop (Dell Inspiron 15R, 4th gen i7 processor, 12 GB memory, 1 TB hard drive, etc., including - alas! - integrated graphics) came with McAfee LiveSafe pre-installed.  Past experience suggests I would be happier with a different suite (such as Avast! Internet Security).  Two questions arise: 1) is my past skepsis of McAfee still justified, such that replacement would be a good idea; and 2) if so, is replacement still the standard drill, i.e. a] download install files for new suite; b] download removal tool from McAfee site; c] disconnect physically from Internet; d] uninstall McAfee from Control Panel; e] run McAfee removal tool; f] install new suite; g] reconnect to Internet; h] run all possible updates for new suite before going anywhere else on the Internet ... ???  Fully updated/patched Windows of course before starting.  Win 8.1?  not so sure about that <G>.  Maybe best to change security suites before driver updates etc. that go with Win 8.1 update?

Everyone said that Win 8 was a bit of a learning experience.  I've been playing with it for 2 days now on a similar machine (Dell Inspiron with 3rd gen i3 processor etc., the less powerful one I bought for the office <G>) and found it pretty straightforward, actually easier to find where stuff is (I hate virtualization, I'm an old hardware man with years of system-house experience setting up and running networks and as a software developer, I actually go back to pre-electronic days in WW 2 cryptography, don't ask, I was there in Princeton postwar when they built the first electronic one, a room full of vacuum tubes and a passel of engineers to keep the thing running <G>).  I'm nearly 82 but to my own surprise Win 8 didn't confuse me at all (and if you can do arithmethic that number will wonder you, what was I doing in the crypto department at age 12?  You can well ask <G>.  Answer: it was entertaining ... and beyond that it's probably still classified <G>.  I came in literally on the ground floor of information theory, etc. etc. etc.).

None of which helps me with the above questions <GGG> which is why I am asking them here <GGG>.

Anyway, enlightenment will be profoundly appreciated!

John

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:16 AM

Hello John -
Briefly the reply to your top paragraph is : Yes, those are the directions I would post to you, or others.

playing with it for 2 days ....... I'm an old hardware man ........
Anyway, enlightenment will be profoundly appreciated!

I only started with Tape operations, so you do have a bit on me but now .....
There seems very little that we can enlighten you with, unless you are otherwise specific.

Maybe best to change security suites before driver updates etc. that go with Win 8.1 update?

That part would only be up to what you are happier with !
I have "played" with a Win 8, and found I was more set on my Win 7 for now ( just me ).

In general, I think that you more than have a grasp on your current situation.

Thank you for posting your views -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

... Past experience suggests I would be happier with a different suite (such as Avast! Internet Security).  Two questions arise: 1) is my past skepsis of McAfee still justified, such that replacement would be a good idea

Although McAfee is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. If you do a Google Search you will find there have been numerous complaints about it affecting system performance. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative as a replacement. McAfee is better utilized in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. They tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

If you are adamant about using a suite, then I would recommend either avast! Internet Security or ESET Smart Security.

BTW, we do have a topic that covers Replacing your Anti-virus
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

I am not at all adamant about using a suite.  I've been using Avast! free antivirus for years; and recently upgraded to Avast! Internet Security ... with some doubt about whether that was even a wise move.  This on my antique (2004) home desktop computer.  I have no complaint about the Avast! Internet Security ... but appreciate your point that individual components (e.g. a standalone AV program) may be preferable.

If I were to install Avast! antivirus (rather than a suite) on the Win8 laptop, what other things would go well with it?  On my old WinXP desktop (soon to be replaced, I hope) I used, besides the Avast! free AV, the Windows firewall, SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol, the MVPS Hosts file, and regular scans with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.  Occasionally I look at a HiJackThis scan to see if there's anything there I don't recognize.  The only recent change (a few weeks ago) was to upgrade the Avast! to the Internet Security suite.  Most of my "surfing" is of a scholarly nature (I am a semi-retired research biologist with wide-ranging interests, and also currently General Manager of a small rural water district, owner of a mailing list devoted to tick-borne diseases in dogs, moderator and "guru" on several other lists devoted to genetics of dogs, etc.) and so far I have not (so far as I know <G>) picked up any infections.  Of course on the lists I see the usual toxic E-mails, but they are usually easily recognized and deleted.  Had my address used, a couple of years ago, to send out thousands of spam E-mails mostly to Russia and former Soviet countries ... traced the spammers to Saudi Arabia (where I lived many years ago, but that's purely fortuitous I think) but they changed address constantly (of course) and I got little joy from the FCC (no surprise, grin and bear it <G>).

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

Windows 8 integrates Windows Defender on Windows 8, a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows 8 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and uses the same virus definition updates.

Microsoft is adding a bunch of significant new security features in Windows 8, including Early Launch Anti Malware (ELAM), Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI), and the first edition of Windows Defender to protect not just against malware but also against viruses...Until Windows 8, Windows Defender protected against spyware only. Now, it also takes on viruses and other breeds of malware..

Windows 8 Security
Windows Defender on Windows 8 - Introduction and FAQs

Windows Defender on Windows 8 plus Windows's Firewall, SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and WinPatrol is s strong combination.

If you want to use another anti-virus it is recommended to disable Windows 8 Defender before installing a different antivirus software.

#6 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

Both Win8 machines I bought (one for me, one for the office) came with McAfee pre-installed.  How does that affect the new and better Windows Defender?  And, of course, how does that affect my idea of replacing the McAfee with Avast! antivirus?

After posting the previous I looked at your topic "Replacing your antivirus" and the rest of that "best practices" essay.  Quite a bit of that was familiar, and some was not.  I learned a lot.  Should have mentioned that I have used Emsisoft and Secunia PSI.  I follow the Emsisoft forums.  Try my best to keep everything patched, even if that means a Java update every few days <G>.  Talk about a moving target!

Thanks,

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

If a third party anti-virus came preinstalled, it most likely turned Windows 8 Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts. Windows 8 Defender will remain disabled until the third party anti-virus has been removed and then needs to be activated if you choose to use it instead of installing different third party anti-virus solution.How to uninstall or reinstall McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR)
How to uninstall your products using MCPR.exe

#8 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Thanks, that clarifies a lot.  I think these Dell laptops came with McAfee LiveSafe preinstalled.  Am I correct in thinking I can discover the status of Windows Defender (on or off) by following the path described in the "How to activate Windows Defender in Windows 8" link you listed above?

Looking at the comparisons under "checking out your Windows 8 antivirus options" I seem to note that nothing is perfect, and that Windows Defender might not be the best of all possible worlds (I have been downright dismayed by the behavior of Microsoft Security Essentials on the old Win XP laptop in the office).  I accept that paid is better than unpaid ... but don't find either Avast! or NOD32 under the "best" products in that article ... hope I am not becoming a dinosaur who keeps things just because they are familiar <G>.

#9 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 653 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

Urk.  After posting the above I noticed your earlier comment that "Windows Defender on Windows 8 plus Windows's Firewall, SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and WinPatrol is a strong combination."  Maybe that will be the best way to go.  All familiar territory for me, except the new Windows Defender.

Thanks again!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

You're welcome.