Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop goes black but computer is working with extra monitor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mdmm

mdmm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

Sir,What Is Wrong With a Computer When the Screen Goes Black But the Lights & Computer Stay On?
My Laptop, Compaq Evo N610C ,turn on but screen remain black.
I connect laptop from back port with extra monitor and laptop is working with extra monitor but still laptop screen is black.i am not pc expert.
It happen 6 months ago but screen came back and was working till last week.
Right now I am using extra monitor.I updated video driver but did not wotk.Is any wire broken ??
If so how can I open that part of Laptop to fix screen problems??
Regards- Mike

Edited by Platypus, 30 October 2013 - 06:50 AM.
Removed email address so you won't be spammed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

mmm...it COULD be something small...OR big....

First off, go to your graphic card settings. Sometimes it can handle 2 desktops...it "could" be that you have your setting for desktop no2 instead of desktop no1. I HOPE this is the case...otherwise its going to cost you some bucks to repair :(

...We all know something...but we will NEVER know everything :grinner:

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:02 AM

Firstly, make sure there isn't a button or key combination been activated to turn off the internal screen and use external only.

Otherwise, the commonest cause of that symptom is the backlight not lighting. A quick way to check is with the room dimly lit, shine a torch very close to the surface of the screen while the laptop is on. If the screen is actually generating an image but the backlight is not on to light it up, the light spill shining back out of the screen will show the Windows desktop dully around the torch.

If you see this, the probable causes are a faulty backlight, a faulty inverter or faulty connection, e.g. broken wire. Any of these requires getting service access into the laptop, and unless you're handy, probably best dealt with by a repair shop.

If the torch test doesn't reveal any Windows desktop image, the fault is probably in the video chip that drives the screen. In this case, because the backlight will be on but the LCD screen turned to black, in a dark room you will normally be able to see a slight blue-grey glow from the screen. This would also require repair, and may not be viable on cost.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

Otherwise, the commonest cause of that symptom is the backlight not lighting. A quick way to check is with the room dimly lit, shine a torch very close to the surface of the screen while the laptop is on. If the screen is actually generating an image but the backlight is not on to light it up, the light spill shining back out of the screen will show the Windows desktop dully around the torch.

...good tip....thx Platypus

...We all know something...but we will NEVER know everything :grinner:

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

#5 mdmm

mdmm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:21 PM

Thank you for advice.

I could not see anything on screen in dark or with torch.  Computer start with windows xp logo then screen Goes Black But the Lights & Computer Stay On? . When I  turn on but screen remain black.In the begenning i see windows xp screen shows up but it turn black,when it goes to desktop. If I connect laptop from back port with extra monitor and laptop is working with extra monitor but still laptop screen is black. It happen 6 months ago but screen came back and was working till last week.
Right now I am using extra monitor.I updated video driver but did not wotk. ??

My Laptop, Compaq Evo N610C

#6 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:47 AM

Most likely your computer has made your external monitor your primary and soul monitor so when you unplug, it searches for that monitor and gives you no feed to the laptop. To fix this error, most computers come with a small monitor reset button laptop-klavyesi.jpgJust like on this picture, its the "FN>F4" button. That would be your monitor reset. have your external/extra monitor unplugged and press this when the computer is properly running and everything. 

Hope this helps!

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,488 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

I think Quantum is most likely correct - showing the Windows splash screen then going black is different to the computer turning on but the screen staying black. Commonly the screen control key combination will cycle each time it is pressed, moving between internal screen, both internal and external, external only, back to internal. If it's got set to external as the primary monitor, cycling back to make the internal screen the primary should cure it.

#8 mdmm

mdmm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

Six months ago screen went black and after a week start working..same thing happen last week and yesterday screen was fine after a week of black screen.Just one hour ago it went black again after a day.What is the cause.When black it does not turn on with battery replacement,on ,off.
Only additional monitor gives the picture.
Is it some wire is loose,or need soldering on motherboard??Please advise??

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,488 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Is it some wire is loose,or need soldering on motherboard??Please advise??

There's no way to know this without dismantling and examining the laptop. It is possible that the video chip has fractured solder, a connector has bad contacts or a wire has a break. But only testing these parts can prove it.

There also still seems to be some uncertainty about how you describe the fault. You have said both that the XP logo shows then the screen goes black, and that the screen stays black always. Also, when you say the screen went black, does that mean it went black while it was working normally with Windows running at the time, or last time it worked until the computer was shut down but this time it started up with the black screen?

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,488 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

When it shows this symptom, if what happens consistently is that after the first screen with just the "XP" splash on the black background, the screen then goes off, immediately reboot into Safe Mode (repeatedly tap F8 during boot). If the screen shows the Windows desktop OK, that would suggest a video driver issue, even though you have already done an update. If Safe Mode also does not display, you could suspect a more damaged Windows installation, or a screen that is always switching off after a short time. An alternative way to check is to boot into the BIOS setup screen, using the appropriate key (e.g. F2, Esc) during boot. If the display blacks out instead of showing the BIOS setup screen, then this eliminates Windows as a contributor and confirms a hardware cause.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users