Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Business/Home computer options

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ffltstn

ffltstn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

My wife works some out of our home doing accounting. When she use to be in a office they had a server and multiple workstations. Now it's just the server and her computer. It is a number of years old and she complains of how slow it is etc. I am sure the even older server had some to do with it. We would like to get her a new tower and move all her data a new computer from the server, ( she has a back up external hard drive and off site as well).  Current computer is a HP Compaq DX2400 which I have added RAM to, running XP. She runs accounting software and plays games but not with major graphics. I would like something that will not need an update for as long as possible. She likes HP and it seems Intel is leading right now.

An i3 may be enough but I'm thinking i5 with a TB and 6GB RAM is where we'd like to be, sound about right?

Business computer or student/home office?

Can we still get windows 7?

Can I move and set up the new computer myself? ( have built all my own the last 15 years).

Thanks for any information and opinions you may have.

Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hi, an i3 processor would be more then adequate for the accounting software although when you mentioned about building the system, you could go with that route if its cheaper.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:21 AM

Building your own would be easier then purchasing one yes. You may want more like 8gb or ram (but honestly for what you are doing its personal preference). The i3 will do fine with all you want as well as being cost effective. You will most likely want to have the i3 or if you want to spend a little it more money and keep closer to being "up to date" the i5 would do you best. So far besides the processor, it sounds like a solid system which will handle Windows 7 flawlessly :) and yea you can move the computer and do everything yourself. If you have questions about doing that then just zip me a message and I can help ya thee too :)

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

#4 Erin Walsh

Erin Walsh

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Agreed.  Sounds like a perfect plan.  However, in my experience it is best to use a lazer printer in preparing reports and document, printing checks and other documents that need to look perfect and it doesn't seem to use as much ink.  At least I'm not buying new catridges constantly.  And, you can't beat the look.  Very much worth the investment.  Your system design sounds very adequate and it is a boon to be able to build it yourself and save a great deal of money.  Good luck on the project.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

I'd recommend you go with HP's buisness line.  My experience the business line is built better than the personal PC line.  Plus you get three years of on site warranty at no additional cost if something does go wrong.  I also recommend going up to 8GB of RAM.  I will tell you that 4GB is not acceptable for the average work load.  6GB may work, but I know from actual use that 8GB works very well.  That said, get it with 4GB and purchase the other 4GB from some place else.  HP will gouge you on the RAM pricing.

You should have not issue moving her data over to the new machine.  Programs of course will need to be reinstalled.

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,057 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

gateway dx 4860 is a decent oem lineup with an i-5 and 8gb ram. the oem-loaded 64 bit OS is definitely a plus also. prolly has a piece of bleep for a power supply though. which is ok in some wierd kind of way, the i-5 isn't too hard on the TDP anyway. my p4 is a whopping 90 nm power guzzler, at about 1/10th the processing strength of an i-5 all the while sponging up 4 times the watts.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users