Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help replacing RAM

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dream1

Dream1

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

I have a Gateway GM4019E computer with Windows XP. It has 1 gb ddr dual channel ram. On their site it says its expandable to 4 gb. Here:

The computer is very slow so I want to upgrade the RAM to the fastest compatible RAM. I was wondering the following:
1) what type and speed of RAM is compatible? I am guessing 4 gb would be the best but Win XP 32 bit supports 3 gb max? But I could put 4 gb in and it would support 3gb of that 4gb?
2) what brand is the best?
3) can you recommend any to purchase?

(I think it's 184 pin ram but not sure, it is ddr, not sure if PC supports ddr2 or ddr3 etc, not sure if I should get 1 stick of 4gb or 2 sticks of 2 gb).

Edited by Dream1, 29 October 2013 - 09:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

You can put in 4GB of RAM and the PC will operate normally, however, due to addressing on a 32-bit system, roughly only 3GB will be usable.  Something like four sticks of Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) should work.  I suggest four sticks as your motherboard has four slots.  Your motherboard can handle standard DDR, not DDR2 or DDR3, they are physically incompatible.

3939.png

#3 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

far as i know the additional 1 gig thats left over will be applied to your system's hardware...

...We all know something...but we will NEVER know everything :grinner:

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

Before you spend good money on RAM, double check that the RAM is your problem.  Most XP systems run OK with one gig of RAM unless there are a lot of background tasks working.  Hit task manager and just have a look at how much RAM you are using on an idle system, how much CPU is being utilized, and how many processes are running.  Depending on installed software, I like to see no more than ~32-35  processes running on an XP system at idle.

Those old single core CPUs can sometimes get hammered by even mundane things like websurfing if you load a page with a lot of multimedia content.

I don't know how much I would be willing to spend on a system of that vintage.  Realize every penny you spend on it as far as motherboard/CPU/RAM is gone, as those components cannot be carried over to a new build.  The money you save now is money you can put forward on a new system.

I get a lot of slower old systems in for these concerns (well, I used to, they are getting fewer and fewer now).  Most of the time they have lots of background garbage running continually, or they have only 512meg of RAM installed.  Of course, if you are trying to game with the system, then all bets are off.  You can often utilize up to 2 gigs of RAM in that case.

Edited by dpunisher, 30 October 2013 - 10:05 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hello Dream1,

Might be time to consider an upgrade to a Windows 7 machine.

Misrosoft will no longer be supporting XP mid 2014.

So, I too recently sold off all my old XP machines.

It sounds like the problem your having with your XP machine is more like a Malware/ Maintenance issue.

Maybe you should first consider having a Moderator move your post into our Security Forum. 

Once there, our security team can assist you future with scanning your system, posting logs for analysis,  and running some cleanup tools.

Hope this helps,

John

#6 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

You can put in 4GB of RAM and the PC will operate normally, however, due to addressing on a 32-bit system, roughly only 3GB will be usable.  Something like four sticks of Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) should work.  I suggest four sticks as your motherboard has four slots.  Your motherboard can handle standard DDR, not DDR2 or DDR3, they are physically incompatible.

If I do decide to add ram I'll add 4 1gb sticks. Is DDR 400 (PC 3200) the fastest ddr ram? Does latency or timing matter? It sucks that ddr can only do 1 gb or 2 1gb sticks because it will cost like $70-$100 to upgrade.

Before you spend good money on RAM, double check that the RAM is your problem.  Most XP systems run OK with one gig of RAM unless there are a lot of background tasks working.  Hit task manager and just have a look at how much RAM you are using on an idle system, how much CPU is being utilized, and how many processes are running.  Depending on installed software, I like to see no more than ~32-35  processes running on an XP system at idle.

Those old single core CPUs can sometimes get hammered by even mundane things like websurfing if you load a page with a lot of multimedia content.

I don't know how much I would be willing to spend on a system of that vintage.  Realize every penny you spend on it as far as motherboard/CPU/RAM is gone, as those components cannot be carried over to a new build.  The money you save now is money you can put forward on a new system.

I get a lot of slower old systems in for these concerns (well, I used to, they are getting fewer and fewer now).  Most of the time they have lots of background garbage running continually, or they have only 512meg of RAM installed.  Of course, if you are trying to game with the system, then all bets are off.  You can often utilize up to 2 gigs of RAM in that case.

This sounds like a good idea but I have no idea how to deal with all the processes that are running, and neither the time or energy to research that. The thing is it's my mom's pc and I don't see her buying a new one anytime soon. She will deal with the slowdown which she hates, she's had it for 7 years and it's always been slow.

Hello Dream1,

Might be time to consider an upgrade to a Windows 7 machine.

Misrosoft will no longer be supporting XP mid 2014.

So, I too recently sold off all my old XP machines.

It sounds like the problem your having with your XP machine is more like a Malware/ Maintenance issue.

Maybe you should first consider having a Moderator move your post into our Security Forum. 

Once there, our security team can assist you future with scanning your system, posting logs for analysis,  and running some cleanup tools.

Hope this helps,

John

If MS is going to stop doing security updates for XP, I guess that means you really don't want to be using a computer with XP anymore because it could get infected incredibly easily? I'm hesitant to goto your security team and run programs I don't know anything about on her PC with her files. I don't think I'll be doing that due to lack of time. Thank you everyone.

#7 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

bump

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

I upgraded my RAM. it was pc3200 DDR. My XP system was originally configured  with two 512 mb sticks with two slots empty. the MHZ speed is backwards compatible but the ddr_ isn't.. i put two 1 gb  pc3200 sticks into the empty slots in my machine and it worked like a charm. my xp32 system only goes over 1gb usage on just a few apps. it usually idles around 500 mb. most users employ the antivirus running in the background, but those anti-virus programs sponge up considerable memory just idling.  i am not sure you will see anything greatly improve when you add more ram. what you may want to look into is your swap (pagefile) allocation. if it isn't allocated correctly this will cause considerable drag when your system starts using the hard drive for memory instead of RAM. most xp users just let wondows manage that one automatically and get by just fine.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#9 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

If MS is going to stop doing security updates for XP, I guess that means you really don't want to be using a computer with XP anymore because it could get infected incredibly easily?

I upgraded my RAM. it was pc3200 DDR. My XP system was originally configured  with two 512 mb sticks with two slots empty. the MHZ speed is backwards compatible but the ddr_ isn't.. i put two 1 gb  pc3200 sticks into the empty slots in my machine and it worked like a charm. my xp32 system only goes over 1gb usage on just a few apps. it usually idles around 500 mb. most users employ the antivirus running in the background, but those anti-virus programs sponge up considerable memory just idling.  i am not sure you will see anything greatly improve when you add more ram. what you may want to look into is your swap (pagefile) allocation. if it isn't allocated correctly this will cause considerable drag when your system starts using the hard drive for memory instead of RAM. most xp users just let wondows manage that one automatically and get by just fine.

Have neither the time or energy to look into swap allocation. 

#10 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:57 AM

If MS is going to stop doing security updates for XP, I guess that means you really don't want to be using a computer with XP anymore because it could get infected incredibly easily?

#11 katy brit

katy brit

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

windows xp only supports 3GB memory, upgrading to 4GB is a bit waste of resource. It's preferred to upgrade Windows system firstly and then hardware.

#12 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

windows xp only supports 3GB memory, upgrading to 4GB is a bit waste of resource. It's preferred to upgrade Windows system firstly and then hardware.

far as i know the additional 1 gig thats left over will be applied to your system's hardware...

That's what I thought but someone wrote this, not sure what he means. However, right now I'm trying to figure out my question just before your post. If MS is stopping security updates does that mean infection can happen very easily? I would think it does. I'm not sure why everyone who was talking in this thread abandoned it.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Hi

Read this article from Sophos

Has Microsoft just PROVED why you should upgrade from XP?

then read the entire Microsoft article, If you have the time and patience.

The results seem to tell a pretty clear visual story about why you should get rid of Windows XP as soon as you can:

inf-enc-4801.png?w=480&h=268

→ The numbers on the left and right sides can't directly be compared because they've been scaled differently for readability. The infection rate shows computers cleaned up out of every thousand on which Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) was used. The encounter rate shows computers on which malware was detected - and almost certainly prevented from infecting - out of every hundred protected by a Microsoft virus blocker.

The obvious conclusion from the above is that your chance of being exposed to malware, and thus potentially infected if you were unprotected, is similar on all versions of Windows.

Why I run Windows 7 or Windows 8 only. Safer as I see it.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#14 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

Actually XP can see and use 4GIG mate.

2^32 = 4294967296 / 1024 / 1024 == 4096 GIG.

The issues is chipsets or other devices attached to the motherboard, IE(CDRoms) which consume/hide the remaining resources so you will only see what is left IE(3.4, 3.6).

#15 speediskoolsmom

speediskoolsmom

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

If you do upgrade your memory you may want to upgrade the pc to Windows 7 (for security reasons).

Places like ebay or Amazon should have Win 7 with code for about $35.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - tests your PC to see if you can upgrade to Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

Windows XP to Windows 7 Easy Transfer Wizard - transfers your files and programs from Win XP to Win 7 when you upgrade.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4503

As has been pointed out, you can spend money upgrading your mom's current pc, or you can invest in a new/used pc with Windows 7 (for not a whole lot more $). In either case, you may find the Microsoft Easy Transfer program useful for moving your old files and programs.

Best of luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users