Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On start-up, computer tells me no bootable device - insert boot disk

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cmfox

cmfox

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

When I turned on my Toshiba (serial #: 2B019939Q)  computer today, I received the following message:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)

Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.2.7(11/02/10)

Check cable connection! 

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

No bootable device --  insert boot disk and press any key

So, I hit ctl + alt + del and received a message stating 'windows failed to launch' and was given the options of of either:

LAUNCH START UP REPAIR (RECOMMENDED)

OR

START WINDOWS NORMALLY

I chose to 'launch start up repair' and it says, 'windows is loading files (for less than 3 seconds by the way) and then I get a black screen with movable  cursor. I let the computer sit for over an hour  in hopes it actually WAS 'doing' something and 'fixing' my issue, but it didn't.

I have NO clue what to do next....please help!!

Thank you!

Cina

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

check your bios boot settings. Change your battery.

#3 cmfox

cmfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for replying Roodo. Can you be more specific as to HOW to check my bios boot settings?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

Start your computer up and as soon as the boot screen appears - that's the very first image you see, probably with Toshiba on it - press the 'F8' key a couple of times. This will do either of two things. One is take you direct to 'Safe Mode' options screen, the other is the 'Boot selection' screen. The second one is the one you want.

The 'Boot selection' screen will list all the drives on your computer. Use the Up and Down arrow keys to select your hard drive from this list, then press 'Enter'. The computer will now re-boot and look at your hard drive for a boot sector, and then, hopefully, boot normally.

If pressing 'F8' takes you to the 'Safe Mode' options screen, scroll down using the Up and Down arrow keys and select 'Last good configuration', then press 'Enter' and see what happens. With any luck, your computer will boot normally from the last good set-up and all you will have to do is re-install a few recent updates.

Try these solutions and if they don't work, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 cmfox

cmfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

Hi Chris,

I did exactly as you indicated and pressed F8 a couple times as the boot screen appeared, but it did not do one of the two things you mentioned above. What happened after pressing F8 a couple times, the screen went black, cursor was flashing and then approx 30 seconds later, the screen said: 'No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key'.

I pressed ctl alt del thinking it would give me SOMETHING other than the blank screen, but nothing. I then shut it off, turned it back on a few minutes later and now the ONLY thing that comes up is the black screen, flashing cursor and then seconds later, the same message of....'No bootable device -- insert boot disk and and press any key'. I don't even get the boot screen anymore.

I am at a total loss on what to do at this point. Any other suggestions or should I take it in to a repair store?

Thank you again for working with me to try and solve this issue.

Cina

#6 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

Turn on your laptop. Press and hold one of the following key combinations when the boot splash screen (the screen with the Toshiba logo) displays: for the Toshiba Protege, use the "Esc" key; for the Toshiba Satellite, use the "F1" key; for the Toshiba Tecra, use "Esc" then either "F1" or "F2." If one of these do not apply (which may be the case for newer models), boot up by pressing the power button and the "Esc" key simultaneously. Hold them down until "Check System, then press [F1] key" displays. Release the "Esc" key and press the "F1" key. Look for boot order change to boot from hard drive.

#7 cmfox

cmfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

I am not even getting the boot splash screen (with Toshiba logo) to come up when I turn it back on. I get a blank screen, the flashing cursor, then 'no bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key'. I tried pressing the power button and the esc key simultaneously and the computer will not turn on with both buttons being pressed at the same time. UGH! 

#8 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

do you have a recover disk? What Toshiba is it?

#9 jmac18

jmac18

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

do you have a recover disk? What Toshiba is it?

Hi, I'm new to this website. I like to think I'm a little knowledgeable with computers, (I've been tinkering since the age of 10). 

I'm currently experiencing the same issue. This has only started since a power outage and the computer was connect to a UPS. 

Now, I have tried "Repair Installation", "Repair discs, (from multiple computers)" "Creating bootable USB Repair kits for BOOTMGR.. but no go.

As of right now, I'm currently running some diagnostic testing to make sure that the hard drive is not corrupted.. LONG TIME 6 Hrs (2TB SATA HDD).. opened the machine and plugged the drive into my personal computer from home (which i lugged to the office where I work)

At this point, I just want to be able to recover the information. There's a lot of work that was done and the restore points that were created are no longer working.

I know that the computer isn't fried, there's just something off about it. 

When trying the repair Install, it tells me I need to be in Windows to do the repair, and not just boot it.

I created USB keys and discs from a 64bit OS.. to realize that it was a 32bit.. THEN! My boss tells me he bought a spare and I could use it to try and help it out. SO.. I downgraded the 64bit OS to 32bit (with frustrations of course).. 

Repair disc made out of the 32 didnt work.

Please, if you can help me.. IT WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY APPRECIATED

Thanks, 

JMac

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have access to Vista, 7, and XP(which is no longer really useful) and that the machine I'm working on is an HP

Edited by jmac18, 24 April 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

Hello, and Welcome

The 2TB drive you are trying to get data off of is from a work computer? If the drive is not damaged, can you attach it to another work computer and pull the data off then reinstall the OS?  When the drive was attached to the original computer, was it recognized in Disk Management? 6 hours sounds like an awful long time to run a diagnostic on a disk.

If I understand correctly, you installed a 32bit OS on another computer then use the rescue disk created to fix the 2TB disk?

Edit: It would have been better to start a new thread instead of adding to this one.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 April 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#11 jmac18

jmac18

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

Thanks, I will definitely know better for next time. 

3 Computers: 

-My home personal that I don't care if I crash (Vista)

-Boss' - lots of data and it's priority #1

-Secondary to boss comp, new comp that was originally 64 bit and I downgraded to create the repair disc.. But I realized after that his home is Win7 Home, and the Work is Win7 Pro and I'm unsure if it makes a difference. 

6hrs is a lot for a day off in the office. 

I've attached it to my home computer and currently running the SeaTools to ensure it isn't corrupted. So far so good, I just have 15 minutes left or so (it says)

Yes, the drive was recognized.

Could it be just as simple as resetting the BIOS and changing it from SAT0 to SAT1? *Like switch the wires inside and from the boot menu changing it.

Edited by jmac18, 24 April 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

Could it be just as simple as resetting the BIOS and changing it from SAT0 to SAT1?   Don't think so. SAT0 is the usual port for the bootable hard drive.

Win home or Pro, the system repair disk should work.

Once you pull the data off, attach it back to the computer it was in. Then booting the system repair disk, use startup repair. It may take up to 3 reboots to get it back to a bootable condition.

When booting the repair disk, make a note if it can see the installed OS.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair_6.htm

#13 jmac18

jmac18

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Harddrive isn't corrupted.. it's fine.. system repair cannot help me. It won't allow me to boot the CD, it says I have to be on Windows for the repair install

Edit: So, tomorrow I'm going to back up the data on an external hard drive that I have to fix for him too. NFTS formatting through a command prompt. He tried to expand his PVR to permanently save more. When he transferred the already stored videos on the machine to his drive they all corrupted and now the drive doesn't get recognized by Windows. So, told him to bring it in and I'd look at it. If not, I would have to take one of his regular machines and destroy it for a few hours. Make a few changes and clean it, store the data, clean sweap the other. I'm his receptionist with technical benefits. But, I'm running into complications when I'm trying to access the local disk when it's plugged into another computer. I get the "access denied" I gave my computer the security and ownership properties, but Bam!

I may or may not be missing a step.
-allowed file sharing through folder options
-security permission changes through the properties of the local disc
-ownership changes through "ADMINISTRATORS/PC-NAME..." and checking that little box that I can't remember what it says at this very moment

Edited by jmac18, 24 April 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

I was not talking about a in place repair but a startup repair with the system repair disk. It may be that the BCD is corrupted and the startup repair will fix it.

See my post #12 for the complete steps

You usually need to take ownership of the drive in order to access in Windows 7 if it came from another computer.

See this video on taking ownership of an external drive. Should be same for internal

You can also access the drive with a bootable Linux CD like Puppy (about 140MB) Burn the iso file in Windows 7 and boot the CD. You can acess the files and transfer the data between drives. No worry about permissions as you  are working outside of windows.

http://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

Here is the startup repair window I was refering to.

windows-7-startup-repair-7.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 April 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#15 jmac18

jmac18

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

Yeah, that startup repair doesn't work either. I get the notice that they couldn't fix the problem and I can send the info to Microsoft or not.. ran it multiple times too, he ran it from home 3-4 times before I started my work on it, and that's where I had started and ran it a few, and intermittently throughout the process. Same results everytime.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users