Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

onestopemarket.comI believe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pquagy

pquagy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

recently got a call from these people saying my computer was infected and that they were from micrusoft tech to help me fix the problems.  they spent about 3 hours in my computer and I must say it does work well.  However they used a site called aammy  I believe that is correct;  but my neighbor said they are scam artists and they probably infected my computer!  I immediatly cancel my payment so no loss of muney and got a new credit card.  How do I know if I am infected  and get properly secured. !    

COMPLETELY computer ILLERiTE SENIOR CITIZEN      PAUL

Edited by hamluis, 29 October 2013 - 05:32 PM.
Moved from AV/AM Software to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:49 PM

I doubt the scammers installed any malware on your computer but they likely used something like Team Viewer to

access it.

Click on start, then type in the search box Team Viewer.  If it is there, right click on the Team Viewer file and choose to delete it.

Then empty your recycle bin.

Just curious....what did the scammers charge you?

EDIT: Somehow I missed you mentioning ammyy...do a search for ammyy, too.

ammyy from what I have read is in your Add/ Remove list of programs and can uninstalled from there.

Edited by buddy215, 30 October 2013 - 09:31 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

FYI:

Cybercriminals often use the names of well-known companies, like ours, in their scams. They think it will convince you to give them money or your personal information. While they usually use email to trick you, they sometimes use the telephone, instead....We do not send unsolicited email messages or make unsolicited phone calls to request personal or financial information or fix your computer. If you receive an unsolicited email message or phone call that purports to be from Microsoft and requests that you send personal information or click links, delete the message or hang up the phone. Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls to help you fix your computer.

Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

Microsoft will not make unsolicited phone calls to help you with your computer. If you receive a phone call like this, hang up.

Dont fall for phony phone tech support

Cybercriminals don't just send fraudulent email messages and set up fake websites. They might also call you on the telephone and claim to be from Microsoft. They might offer to help solve your computer problems or sell you a software license...Neither Microsoft nor our partners make unsolicited phone calls (also known as cold calls) to charge you for computer security or software fixes...Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.

Avoid tech support phone scams: What you need to know

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

I have to agree with Bleepin' Janitor. Same thing happened here in South Africa...it was a scam...

(Doubt MS has the time to worry about customers's computers, lol)

Edited by RobinHoodSnr, 30 October 2013 - 06:53 AM.

...We all know something...but we will NEVER know everything :grinner:

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

And its a growing scam.

Microsoft Survey Reveals Extent of Emerging Internet Phone Scam
Microsoft reveals extent of phone scam

And those articles are two years old now.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users