Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer And Animated Gifs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 richC

richC

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:20 AM

Hello ,
I created a simple animated gif for the first time in ages using Paint shop pro's animation Shop tried to view the finished product in a common program .
Internet explorer was not available in the right click (on gif file) "open with....." menu.
Then opened internet explorer and clicked file -open (my gif file) but instaed of IE opening it it opened a new window in Microsoft photo editor.
Any Ideas?
Running XP pro and IE version 6.00.2900.2180 if this helps - even normal jpegs arent opened by the same method as above --But photo editor fires up over the internet explorer
Thanks for your time
Rich

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Matt169

Matt169

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:10 AM

have you tried copying where the file is located such as ..

C:DocumentsandSettings/youruser/Desktop/whatever.gif

and then putting it into IE and clicking go?

or have you tried going to where ever it is say my documents, desktop etc and then...

1. Right click the file

2. Select the Option 'Open With'

3. Click IE

Posted Image

Edited by Matt169, 30 April 2006 - 08:19 AM.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:25 AM

Open Internet Explorer
Click File
Click Open
Browse to the animated Gif and double clcik and run the file

It will open in Internet Explorer and it should work if it was made right.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:47 AM

Internet Explorer was not available in the right click (on gif file) "open with....." menu.

Did you have the option to "Browse" for a program, or select "choose program"?

even normal jpegs arent opened by the same method as above --But photo editor fires up over the internet explorer

I'm not sure if I understand the comment.
Are you saying, that every image type (.jpeg, .bmp, .gif, ....), opens with Microsoft photo editor.
That sounds normal.
Images are, usually, associated with a photo editing program.
All mine open in IrfanView, which I use as my default photo editor.
If you want to associate Internet Explorer ( or any program you decide to use) with .gif files, try the following:

Double click My Computer.
At the top, click Tools.
Select Folder Options.
Click the File Types tab.
Scroll down to the file type you want to open (GIF).
Click on it, to highlight it.
Click the Change button, which will open a new window.
If Internet Explorer is an option, select it.
Then put a check in the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file box (if this is selected, all .gif's you open, will open in IE).
Click OK.
Click Apply.
Click OK.

If Internet Explorer is not one of the options:

At the bottom, click the Browse... button.
Navigate to Internet Explorer, located at C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer.
Highlight it (single click), and click the Open button.
Double click iexplore.exe.
Then put a check in the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file box (if this is selected, all .gif's you open, will open in IE).
Click OK.
Click Apply.
Click OK.

Edited by tg1911, 30 April 2006 - 09:48 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:48 AM

Hi richC :thumbsup: to BC

Since Internet Explorer is not showing on your Open With menu we will have to put it there for you. Matt169 got you half way there by showing you the Open with menu but because IE is not there you have to go a few steps further.

Click on the Choose Program... option on the bottom of the Open With menu. This will take you a window like the one pictured here:

Posted Image

Look for IE by scrolling through the programs listed in this window. If you find it here great, just click on it to highlight it then select OK and your gif should now open in IE and IE should now appear in your drop down Open With menu.

If you do not see IE listed here you will have to navigate to the Internet Explorer folder located in your Program Files folder. Clicking on the Browse... button should take inside the Program Files folder but if it does not you can navigate to it by yourself (with XP Pro this folder is located here: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer). Once you are inside the Internet Explorer folder double click on the iexplore file and it should appear in the Other Programs list we looked in earlier. Then just select it as per the above paragraph.

In either case if you always want this type of file to open with IE make sure to put a check mark in the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file box before you click OK.
There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users